Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,891 / Views: 84,126Next Topic
Page: of 127
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, thanks. Appreciate the advice. Here's the rub, I don't have a copy of Neinken for the one cent imperf. Yep, I know, too bad for me! Right! =) Is that book posted anywhere in PDF? I looked to pick one up online but about swallowed my tongue noting the price. Wow!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Moyock13 --

Nienken's 1c 1851 - 1861 book in PDF format is free at USPCS website's "Electronic Library".

Link is here:

https://d2jf3tgwe889fp.cloudfront.n...okmarked.pdf

Hopefully this link works!

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/07/2021   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are awesome! Thanks!

Here's another item I've been meaning to post. I've always like these stamps. So, here's a Scott 15, relief B, type III... (I think). I have the Neinken book on the ten cent stamps.

Beautiful stamp except for the diagonal slice beside the upper left X.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Returning to my previous post regarding the folded cover with the triple one cent 7 or 9's and reviewing Neinken, it looks to me that the left stamp is a relief B and the center and right are a relief T.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tried to edit my original post to include a higher resolution image of the three one cent'er on the folded cover. It's been too long, can't edit so I'm posting the higher resolution image here.

[/img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img...3/QAMUpt.jpg[/img]

Thanks Classic Coins
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Left stamp is a B - good job.
Middle stamp is an A.
Right stamp is a T.

So you have one of each, which was one reason I brought all of this up - its a good exercise to study all 3 key reliefs here for these plates.

More later.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
75 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right stamp appears to have a pair of guide dots in the upper right corner. This would support it being a T relief.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So in determining the types, the next step would be to decide if you see a recut at top or bottom of any.

See my post here, for knowing how the relief can help aid this process:
http://goscf.com/t/72775&whichpage=118#717926
Edited by txstamp - 12/08/2021 2:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1926 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since Moyock13's link to the 1200-DPI trio of 1-cent stamps appears to have a glitch, here's a link that should work better:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From trying to plate the three cent stamps, recut lines always seem to be a thicker more pronounced line if not doubled. Given that, there could be a recut(s) on the bottom of the Right (T relief) stamp under the "E" of "ONE". And there could be a recut on the top of the Left (B relief) the "OST" of POSTAGE. I don't see any recuts on the A relief.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   3:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there could be a recut(s) on the bottom of the Right (T relief) stamp under the "E" of "ONE". And there could be a recut on the top of the Left (B relief) the "OST" of POSTAGE. I don't see any recuts on the A relief.

Good answer.
The left stamp is definitely recut once at top. Can't see the bottom. That makes it a #9, Ty IV, for sure.

The middle stamp is not recut. That makes it a Ty II, #7.

The right stamp, being top row, is not recut at top. It is not recut at bottom either, and is therefore, a Ty II, #7. I agree that it is a bit hard to tell for sure if the bottom of the right stamp is recut or not -- so the key here is to look at the tidbit of the stamp beneath it that you can see. The top of that stamp beneath it -- which will be an A relief, is clearly not recut. That, therefore tells me that the T relief is not recut either, based upon overall plate layout, and, thus a Ty II.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2504 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So one takeaway here, is if you want to get a lot better at figuring out types of the 1c stamp, without a full investment of plating them (which is necessary sometimes) - I'd say two key things to learn are:

- learn the reliefs
- learn the layout of the reliefs by plate

That will help you figure these out a lot quicker and easier. Good luck.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
789 Posts
Posted 12/08/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, thank you!

Gotta love the lessons learned here on this forum. You guys are the best thing since sliced bread!

Thanks again!

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1254 Posts
Posted 12/10/2021   12:55 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty stamp, previous owner said type II. With the bottom design slightly hidden, I'm not sure. Anyone want to weigh in? Thanks as always.

Page: of 127 Previous TopicReplies: 1,891 / Views: 84,126Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05