Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 676 / Views: 17,327Next Topic
Page: of 46
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5942 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could you be more specific on what you are looking at? Looks perfectly normal to my eyes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess that it does not show a double transfer, but there are what I think would be a small amount of extra ink outside of the plumes. the stamp with the pen cancel has an ink smear or something to the left of the O in one. Thanks for giving them a look!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1298 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extraneous inking anomalies are not uncommon on these issues, and can be a distraction to plating. The second #9 (which I plate as pos. 20L1L) seems to have a stray blob of ink in the O of POSTAGE, which may have led Classic Coins to consider the possibility of a DT.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I might have seen some doubling in the left side of the white oval, but dudley confirmed by plating it that there is none.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#17 with a red Mobile, Alabama CDS.

Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ttreen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
#17 with a red Mobile, Alabama CDS.

Even missing some of the top frame line, that is a seriously gorgeous stamp. Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Tim.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like 1851 3-cent colors, and I like imperforate multiples. Here are:

18-19L5e - orange brown
1-2R5L - yellowish rose red
65-66L4 - purplish claret

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   7:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Folks might find this interesting. I first learned about the New York, APL CDS here and was then introduced to Dr. Charles DiComo's pages on the USPCS. Check out the link below!
Just another sliver of collecting interest for this excellent issue.

https://www.uspcs.org/resource-cent...el-revisted/

Edited by stampcrow - 05/24/2020 7:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is an interesting variation, Stephen, and a really nice cover you have there!
Edited by Classic Coins - 05/24/2020 9:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2605 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's the sort of things that can be obtained inexpensively yet add interest to a collection.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very much appreciate this forum and that CC has given some good information on the color on the 3 cent stamps. I have a small group here which I am hoping may be Orange Brown and might be 10's as opposed to 11's. Any help would be much appreciated.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipshot, Those are some really nice stamps. Especially the two on the bottom. We'd be able to give you more specifics if your would show a larger image of each one individually. Here's what I can interpret from this image:

The only one that looks like it has a shot at being a #10A is the lower left one (but doubtful). It's a top row position with a guide dot at top, and another guide dot on the adjacent stamp.

If the one at top right has only one frame line at right, and two or three at left, then it is a "three rows" position from plate 3 (covered earlier in this topic).

The other two look like printings from plate 4, 6, or 7.

Plates 3, 4, 6, and 7 produced no #10/10A.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your review of the items and your help in learning more about these stamps. I hope these images are adequate for your review as I am learning how to better manage the digital images as well.

I actually have 50 of these and 25 of the 25/26 issues as well. I got them as a group in the early 80's and only now have I made the time to try to determine what I have.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1448 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipshot, I'm looking at the stamp with part of the adjoining stamps showing at left and right to see if I can plate it to confirm the ID. The other three stamps are #11s.

I'd love to see all the other 3-cent imperforate stamps you have (and the perforated ones in the sister-thread), however, better images will help us determine IDs.

Are these cell phone photos? Scanner images would work much better for identification if you have a scanner. Also, posting your images upright will be helpful so we don't have to download them and rotate them on our computers. I know there are size limitations if you don't use an image hosting service, but if you can make them a little bigger, that will help too.
Page: of 46 Previous TopicReplies: 676 / Views: 17,327Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05