Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,270 / Views: 102,238Next Topic
Page: of 152
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I obtained it from Rupp Brothers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stan --

Your stamp with the COLUMBIA CITY Ia. /WHITLEY Co. cancel is position 81L1L.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa,
That information is much appreciated.
I will not it as such on the certificate.

Stan Shepp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Stan. Yes, Rupp Brothers' stock is amazing. I am not surprised that such a rare item came from Rupp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1399 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another case of recuts that don't look like recuts. I'm starting with this being 8R1L,18R1L, 28R1L

But some of the recuts - well - looking for confirmation that what I'm seeing there are indeed recuts. Thanks in advance.

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes, when all you need is a 3c stamp, all you have are three 1c stamps.

When that happens, you get a cover like this!

The previous owner marked the two outside stamps as Type II and the center stamp as a Type IV, but the APS Cert (#143333) calls them out as:

"United states, Scott No. 7, three singles used on cover, New Britain CT, genuine, section of cover rejoined at upper right."

Pretty cool cover - and I do collect the 1c Franklins, just not nearly as actively as the 3c Washingtons.

Sharing today for you viewing pleasure.

Stan Shepp

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The center stamp is indeed a Type IV, Sc #9, recut once at top and twice at bottom.

ETA: The APS cert given is too old to be in the online database, but it is a bad miss by APEX.
Edited by dudley - 05/20/2022 5:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny, the plating as 8-18-28R1L seems to be correct. The fact that the double recut at the bottom of 8R1L is clearly seen confirms this as a Type IV strip.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to add eleven new Plate 1 Early examples to my Orange Brown Plated collection today.

I never know whether to label these above or below the image, so this time I will label them from above.

Hopefully I got all of these labeled correctly with descriptions and plate positions.

Enjoy!
Stan Shepp

This image shows all 11 of them as received:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - B-relief - No Guide Dot.
Position 93L1E:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - B-relief - No Guide Dot.
Position 95L1E:

10A - Right Inner Lines Only Recut - B-relief - No Guide Dot.
Position 95R1E:

10A - Right Inner Line Only Recut - B-relief - UL Triangle Recut - LR Guide Dot -
UL Diamond Block has a Vertical Line Along its Entire Left Edge.
Position 69R1E:

10 - Inner Lines Not Recut - A-relief - No Guide Dot.
Position 74R1E:

10 - Inner Lines Not Recut - B-relief - Double Transfer - UR Guide Dot.
Position 3L1E:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - B-relief - 2 Lines Recut n UL Triangle - LR Guide Dot.
Position 25L1E:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - A-relief - No Guide Dot.
Position 31L1E:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - B-relief - LR Guide Dot.
Position 85L1E:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - B-relief - UL Triangle Recut - LR Guide Dot.
Position 22L1E:

10A - Both Inner Lines Recut - B-relief, UR Guide Dot.
Position 7L1E:
Edited by stanshepp - 05/20/2022 5:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny - your strip is correctly plated, and the recuts are there as normal for each position.

The inking is such that the recuts don't show all that well, but they are there. On some printings, that is just the case.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1399 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   5:40 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dudley and tx
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StanShepp, I'd like to add your images above to the Stamp Smarter Database. Earlier you had mentioned you were ok with this provided you were credited on the image. Attached is an image where I added "Image Created by Stan Shepp". I'll wait to hear back before I upload any of these. Thanks again for posting them.

Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stan --

Further Harper's post of earlier today -- those 1E stamps would make a great addition to the SS data set -- but wanted to ask if the platings have been confirmed as Early versus Inter state of the plate (or if you know who plated them) -- as the only difference is re-entry which often times presents very subtly and can be a challenge to discern?

Thanks // ioagoa
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am fine with them being added.
I agree that the platings should be verified by someone other than myself.
The majority of them are marked DSW.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stan --

Thanks for sharing the plating info on your 1E stamps -- DSW is David S Watt -- who, as you probabaly already know, was one of the well known platers of the issue.

Watt sold his 3c collection back in Nov 2006 in a Matthew Bennett auction -- link to the sale catalog is here:

https://bennettstamps.com/php/toc_a...g=1&sale=309

Dave plated lots of stamps -- so hard to say if yours are "ex-Watt" -- but he would always put his initials in very small capital letters below his plate mark.

Regards // ioagoa
Edited by ioagoa - 05/23/2022 2:15 pm
Page: of 152 Previous TopicReplies: 2,270 / Views: 102,238Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05