Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,336 / Views: 107,350Next Topic
Page: of 156
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 06/03/2022   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Jaxom that the bottom row Ty IV can only be 95R1L.
The combination of recut appearance with spacing to the Stamp at left solidifies it as having to be the 5R column, thus 95R1L.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jaxom & txstamp!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1069 Posts
Posted 06/04/2022   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What about the one that I think is 17L4?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1614 Posts
Posted 06/05/2022   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think 17L4 is correct, jaxom.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp appears to me to be a Plate 1 Late example.
I have not had the time to plate it and must leave my office for the afternoon.

I am not necessarily asking you guys to plate it for me, but if you could give me your opinion and share your thoughts on whether or not it is a "Plate 1 Late" stamp or not, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance,
Stan Shepp

Valued Member
182 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waelshami to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is mine
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stan --

Your stamp with the black small Boston PAID cancel does not look like plate 1L to me.

The tip off is the clear horizontal line that is recut across the top edge of the URDB -- (versus the classic gouge that is characteristic of plate 1L). Likewise -- this stamp is not one of the only two positions on plate 1L where the URDB was not gouged (i.e., 63 and 64R1L -- both of which are B reliefs with huge GD's).

The stamp is definitely an A relief -- and based on the color, inking, strength of the recut inner lines, and overall impression (all as per your scan) -- if I were going to plate this stamp -- I would start the hunt on plate 5E.

// ioagoa

Edited by ioagoa - 06/09/2022 5:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, ioagoa!

Stan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
980 Posts
Posted 06/09/2022   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the small Boston PAID cancel was only used for a short time in 1851 (at least that is my understanding) and is almost a guarantee that it cancels an OB stamp (Plate 1e, 1i, 2e, 5e or 0).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 06/10/2022   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That particular small Boston PAID killer in black is known used until 1/23/1852.

The red and magenta killers are much scarcer.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
143 Posts
Posted 06/11/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning all. I've plated this one to 69R0 and wanted to see if you all agree. Chase is just not clear enough and Lund is missing most of the area where the guide dots would be. Thanks in advance.

Side note: Interesting "3" in the cds. Is that referring to the rate?

Regards
Harper1249

Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 06/11/2022   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Harper --

I agree that your stamp is 69R0.

On the cancel -- I believe that it is most likely of St Louis, Mo -- and with an integral 3 paid rate marker -- that was in use before they changed over to a CDS without the integral rate -- although hard to be sure with only the first few letters of the town name showing.

Regards // ioagoa

PS -- Attached below are 3 additional reference copies of position 69R0 that should eliminate any doubt you may have had due to the poor quality of the Chase photo and the Lund stamp being cut in where the GD's would be (albeit with reduced jpg quality due to SCF's file size limitations) ...

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
143 Posts
Posted 06/11/2022   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the confirmation Ioagoa and the examples.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 06/13/2022   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I am breaking the rules by sharing today -
this one has perforations -

PATRIOTIC QUADRUPLE PLATE FLAW (18L28) ON COVER -

I found this cute little cover on eBay last week and picked it up for $34.76, winning over 7 other bidders. It started at $9.99 and ran for 7 days. https://www.ebay.com/itm/374103815128

Advertised as:
"Protect It Civil War Patriotic Cover+Letter from Alton, Illinois (POW camp?)"

The item description stated:
"The handwriting is muddled in some places but I for the most part can decipher it: "July 16th, ... Dear Brother, I received your letter the other day and was very glad to hear from you. When you write again I want you to let me know how all the girls are in ... and whether you have been to Plotter... NY? or have heard from there and how all the old ... are. You wished to know how Camp life went. I should thought you would have known long ago it is a rough life of sin and vice. Most of the time spent in playing cards and the like. We have plenty of beef bread and beans in our .... The fourth of July was spent the poorest ? I ever saw the ...was were called our the morning and dreamed .... You wanted to know when you thought we would be free if we don't die of the shits or get shot. I suppose we will be free in about six years. We have the US parade dress it is a grey coat and pants grey belt hat... I have told you all the news I know of so must stop. Write and let me know all the news.
Silas ?... Jane Wiley... Direct Co E 15th Reg. ..." I don't really know what to make of the letter especially as it's addressed to someone in Illinois. Alton was home to a POW camp, but it doesn't make sense Jane would be a POW as in my other listings she was from the North, but what do I know about the Civil War... You be the judge and let me know if you find out!"

"The seller did receive a little additional information from someone,
On May-30-22 at 15:04:52 PDT, seller added the following information:
Someone who knows more about the subject sent me this message to which he plans to add more: "The letter is from a volunteer in an Illinois regiment at training camp writing home to his parents. He is not a POW camp. Most regiments were organized and trained close to home before marching off to war. I forgot to write down his name and regiment but will do so and let you know what I find out."

"On May-30-22 at 15:18:08 PDT, seller added the following information:
The commenter (mylittletownpostalhistory for when they post something to sell again) says this: "The writer was Silas Wiley, who enlisted in the 15th Illinois infantry, one of the first regiments raised in Illinois in response to Lincoln's call to raise 10 regiments in each state. The 15th was mustered into service in May 1861 and trained at Alton, IL, where this letter was written, for 6 weeks. It was then sent to the field, spending a lot of time in Missouri, much of it traveling here and there on steamboats. It was eventually sent into battle at Pittsburgh Landing (Shiloh), TN, in April 1862, becoming one of the first Union regiments on the scene. They 15th had no sooner taken up position when it was attacked, holding off a furious charge for 3 hours, killing over 2,000 Confederates with a loss of 250 of their own. Silas was among the dead, passing away from his wounds on April 6, 1862."

I thought to scan and share this cover this morning and when I scanned it and zoomed in on the stamp, I was shocked to see several plate flaws - starting with the triangle on the back of Washington's head (between the 3rd and 4th horizontal line of cancel counting from the top. A second, smaller triangle on the nape of Washington's neck, just under the 5th horizontal line of cancel counting from the top. A third flaw is a smaller triangular flaw right below Washington's toga button. There is a 4th flaw that I have not absolutely identified, but I know this is the position.

Scott Catalog gives it a catalog value as a used single of $2,000
The price is in italics - which means that there isn't enough sales history to give a solid number. Its pretty rare. Or, its damn rare.
I have been looking for a nice example of this position for a few years and had no idea that this was it until I scanned it this morning. I have about a dozen plate flaws on cover and I knew that I was missing this one. I had thoughts of exhibiting them, but knew that without this position, I would be lacking.

Anyway, I finally got it. For $39.25 including shipping, handling, and the Arizona governor's fees. Quadruple Plate Flaw #26, on a Patriotic cover, with an enclosed Letter with matching letterhead.

#26 = $10 Catalogue Value
#26 on cover = $11 Catalogue Value
#26 on Patriotic Cover = $150 Catalogue Value
#26 Quadruple Plate Flaw single = $2,000 Catalogue Value
#26 with Quadruple Plate Flaw, on Patriotic Cover, with enclosure of soldier's letter - $39.25

The success of the hunt brings me joy - even when its more like a blind squirrel finding a nut. I knew it was a nut when I smelled it. The seller didn't. Nor did the other 7 bidders.

Sharing for your enjoyment.

Stan Shepp

Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 06/13/2022   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool Stan
I don't collect covers but I do enjoy and reflect on the history they entail. And this one is special, bringing to life a otherwise faceless American who died of his wounds at Shiloh, (Peace in Hebrew). Two day battle, Confederates had the first Union the second. Sherman to Grant evening of the first day, "well we had the Devils own day" taciturn Grant replied "our day tomorrow ". Pure carnage.
History is alive! Thanks!
Regards Mark
Page: of 156 Previous TopicReplies: 2,336 / Views: 107,350Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05