Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,324 / Views: 106,642Next Topic
Page: of 155
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clarification, John Becker.

I assumed that people would have known that they could only report on what they had access to.

I'd hate to think that anyone expected that Alexander or Simpson had access to every possible stamp in existence. But had anyone expected that, this should clarify it.

They had access to a lot of cancels - but not all. I personally have found more than one example of a cancel that they had determined to be unique, but my copy proved otherwise. (The example above being one such case)

I have also obtained 3 copies of other cancels with a stated rarity of 9 - meaning 2-3 known - but none of my 3 were the listing copy, so obviously it should be dropped to a rarity of at least 8.

I have some that aren't listed at all. Sometimes it's the color, sometimes the size, sometimes the entire marking isn't mentioned anywhere.

I have others that are obviously the listing copy and are listed as a rarity 10, but I still keep an eye out for them - because the lists aren't complete. They are extensive,but not complete.

In the mean time, those lists are what is available and they are the references that are generally referred to. And the rarity factors given there are the best we have. (other than as adjusted by our personal collections)

My copies of Simpson's all have errata sheets stuck in for special cases. (like this example, and for scans of postmarks not listed) "Tipped in" at the appropriate location of the books.

And as John pointed out - none of the books are complete. Cole's, Skinner & Eno, Simpson's, etc. are all missing items. The rarity factors are approximate. Future finds will reveal more examples - and new examples.

I kind of assumed that my earlier post was demonstrating that fact, but between John's response and this clarification, I hope no one is being misled to believe that any cancel is unique - even if only one has been found so far.

The "asterisk" cancel from my post previous to that one is just another example. No one should think that it becomes a rarity 11 (none existing) because it isn't listed. It obviously exists, it is certified as genuine.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Stan Shepp
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by stanshepp - 06/26/2022 4:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   5:38 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice there are no stamp images in positions 7-8R2 in the stamp smarter database. If there's no objection I'll put these up.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What a beautiful pair...
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my first post, so I'm uploading just one image and that is of US Scott 7 (Type II). If this works, I'll upload pics of my other 1851-1857 imperfs.

Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not illustrate the backside of this one previously...

There is an owner's or certifier's handstamp on the back, in ink...

...and what appears to be "P. V. Karaivanoff"...

I found this online...

If related, and genuine, then it would follow that the stamp had perhaps been used to mail a letter or parcel to Europe, possibly to Bulgaria even, then certified by the individual in question.

Usually, I don't pay much attention to the backsides of U.S. stamps, save those that may be hiding a thin or other, as the U.S. Post Office wasn't too keen on the use of watermarks, "USPS", single-line and double-line, only. I have at least one exhibiting such, a double-line...

It would've been great if watermarks of eagles, stars-and-stripes shields, et al, had been used, but no; sad, that.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
136 Posts
Posted 06/26/2022   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool specimens Stan.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the premier stamps in my collection. It is US Scott 8A, Type IIIa, Plate 1E. It has a 1994 Philatelic Foundation cert (#285120) and a 2011 PSAG cert with a grade of XF 90.

Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last 3 1851-57 imperfs that I'll share are US Scott 13 (with a 2016 PF certificate), 14 (with a 2011 Weiss certificate), and 15.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
136 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Capthickey - That is a beautiful specimen. I bet it's plated here shortly.

StanShepp - I'm just a novice when dealing with Plate 1i, but I went back and looked in Chase's book. He identifies 51R1e as not having inner lines and then goes on to say "types and sub-types found on [1(i)] are the same as found on 1(e)... " Based on this information I would say you are correct that your stamp is a 10.

Regards
Harper1249
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HARPER1249 -
I think that I was looking at 51L1i - Which is a #10A.
Instead of looking at 51R1i - which is a #10.

I am sure that I am not the only one to ever do that!

Stan Shepp
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just sharing some more imperf 1851-1857 -
trying to bury those perforated stamp posts and redeem myself among my fellow collectors.

79R6 Blue/Green Cancel -

#11A - XF-S 95

#11A Green SALTSBURGH cancel

#11A - XF90 - Red Cancel

#11A - Unplated, Ungraded

#11 - XF-S 95 - Unplated

#11 - XF-S 95 - Unplated

98R6 - Ungraded

68L3 - Not very pretty, but I liked the way it shows the doubling of the frame lines between the two stamps.

65R3 - with Blue Philadelphia CDS cancel

Here is another Plate 3 example showing the doubling of the frame lines.
I am having this pair made into a puzzle.

In order for it to fit the proper proportions, I had to copy the top and bottom of the pair and add it to the bottom and top of the image.
Only a plater will see the doubling. I am guessing the two positions will look identical to the average collector.

My local post office has several puzzles of stamps on their lobby walls and they indicated that they would hang mine as well.
When it arrives, 1,000 pieces assembled and delivered. I'll get to see it on their wall every day.

As always, from the collection of Stanley M. Shepp
Enjoy!
Stan
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
136 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StanShepp, That pair from Plate 3 is outstanding. I'm guessing that was not printed on a Monday.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harper1249,

It is so crisp and clean. The cert says, "DOG" for Disturbed Original Gum - but you couldn't tell without magnification.

It looks MNH.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guide dots! Guide DOTS!! You WANT GUIDE DOTS!?!?
I got your guide dots right here!!

1R2L & 1R5L - Top left position of the right pane, also showing the centerline from between the two panes of 100 - as well as the upper right most stamp from the left pane.

Great Position Pieces! Lots of guide dots!!

1R2L

1R5L -
Check out the interesting stray dots between the lower rosettes in the space between the panes.

As always,
From the collection of Stanley M. Shepp
Edited by stanshepp - 06/28/2022 5:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
4-margin 64R2E -
Oct 23 (1851) PROVIDENCE R.I. CDS -
B-relief, both inner lines recut,
1-line recut in UL triangle
Guide Dot LR corner

Enjoy!
From the collection of Stanley M. Shepp
Page: of 155 Previous TopicReplies: 2,324 / Views: 106,642Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05