Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,326 / Views: 106,684Next Topic
Page: of 156
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This unplated #10 appears to have a small recut in the outer oval across from Washington's nose.
I haven't plated this yet, but I would be interested in comparing that line to other examples of this position.

From the Collection of Stanley M. Shepp
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice strip of 4 "a" Relief, no guide dots, no triangle recuts.
36, 37, 38, & 39 L7

Lower right guide dots from positions 26L7 and 29L7 visible from stamps above.

The #11/A Plates in order of rarity are as follows -
(Total # of impressions shown):

Plates that produced #11 (no inner lines recut)
Plate 4 - 226,739
Plate 7 - 183,567
Plate 6 - 144,811
Plate 8 - 115,615

Plates that produced #11A (inner lines recut)
Plate 2 Late - 428,654
Plate 3 - 391,811
Plate 1 Late - 308,475
Plate 5 Late - 105,755

Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stanshep - nice 3c 1851s! On your 1R5l (Guide dots!! You want guide dots!?! Haha) there appears to be a group of (guide???) dots in the interpane margin almost down as far as the lower rosettes. Any idea what all that might be?
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt987,

Thanks!

I asked the same question in that post:

"Check out the interesting stray dots between the lower rosettes in the space between the panes."

I dont really know what they are other than stray dots. I don't believe that I have another example that shows that portion of the sheet margin. I'll try to remember to look again tomorrow.

Stan Shepp
Edited by stanshepp - 06/29/2022 11:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharing 3 'Rare' to 'Very Rare' Railroad Agent Markings. One in cover, 2 on piece. I included Simpson's description and rarity guide for reference - but to be sure, and with this particular situation I can prove it, Simpson didn't have access to them all. Between my examples, and the tracings provided by Simpsons, Towles, & Remele - These are not as 'Rare' or 'Extremely Rare' as Thomas Alexander thought. Don't get me wrong - they are still 'Very Rare' and you would be lucky to find one in the wild. Original auction description for the cover included. Other examples on piece were found by me in the wild.

(Louisa and Virginia Central Railroad) Virginia Central R.R., Sep 16. Bold route agent cds ties 3˘ dull red (11A) on blue folded cover to Charlotte C.H., Va.; some extra CDS ink, F.-V.F. and exceptionally rare, Rarity IX. Towle No. 303-B-2

September 16th circa 1852 east on Route 2429 to Richmond for transfer via Burkesville to Charlotte Court House.
Simpson's lists this cancel as Tracing #377 - Rarity 9 (2-3 known) His tracing being dated NOV 16

I could have written more about these, and provided Remele's and Towles' images - but time is short, and home life beckons.
Here are a few images for your entertainment & enjoyment. All stamps have both inner lines recut. None have been plated.

Front of SEPT 16 Folded Cover (no contents)

Closeup of Stamp and "VIRGINIA CENTRAL RR" Railroad Agent Marking

Back of SEPT 16 Folded Cover (for the sake of completeness)

JAN 4 "VIRGINIA CENTRAL RR" Railroad Agent Marking on piece (Partial) (Simpson Tracing 377):

DEC 4 "VIRGINIA CENTRAL RAILROAD" Railroad Agent Marking on piece (complete) (Simpson Tracing 376)

Simpson's listing of the two slightly different "Virginia Central RR" railroad Agent Markings -

Simpson's Rarity number definitions -

As always, from the collection of Stanley M. Shepp

~ Stan
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1956 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1R5L -
Check out the interesting stray dots between the lower rosettes in the space between the panes.

Quote:
stanshep - nice 3c 1851s! On your 1R5l (Guide dots!! You want guide dots!?! Haha) there appears to be a group of (guide???) dots in the interpane margin almost down as far as the lower rosettes. Any idea what all that might be?

Stan and mootermutt987, those dots are the consistent corrosion spots ("rust spots") that plate 5 is known to have suffered while it was in storage for over three years.

Here is the Chase print image of the adjacent 10L5L showing that the dots are consistent.

BTW, Stan, that is a nice example of an ink wiping variety on your 1R5L.

Edited by Classic Coins - 07/02/2022 5:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins,
Thanks for the information.

Can you explain the "Ink Wiping Variety" in more detail?

Stan Shepp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1956 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stan,

You're welcome.

Sometimes excess ink had to be wiped off the edges of the plate before it was applied to the paper. For that reason, ink wiping varieties normally are found at margin positions. The inking of your stamp is much lighter above chin level than below due to the top half being over wiped.

Edited a typo
Edited by Classic Coins - 07/02/2022 5:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1956 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This 99L3 was over-wiped on the bottom third.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1956 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another over-wiped example; 93L1L. The under-inking caused the radial lines extending from the bottom-left of the C in CENTS to show really well.

Edited by Classic Coins - 07/02/2022 5:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins,

I see it now.

Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I had a July 1st, 1851 Cover, I would have shared it yesterday to commemorate the first day of issue.

I do have a 2nd day of issue on cover - so I will share that today.
Its not very nice - but it is the only one that I have.

171 Years ago today -

Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For Independence Day here is a plating copy of position 15L5L -- not on a cover -- but still with an XF strike of a blue July 4 CDS -- town name Andover -- but the name of the state is uncertain -- (as Jim Forte's Post Office search reveals that there were a number of states with towns named Andover during the period of use for plate 5L).

Regards to All

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2747 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ioagoa….. ahhhh that color!! Is that Rose Red or maybe Yellow Rose Red? Is there a prettier stamp ever created. Lol that's a rhetorical comment folks.
Pillar Of The Community
4420 Posts
Posted 07/04/2022   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: Andover

Agreed, Jim Forte's website lists Andover in CT, IL, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH and SC in the 1850s.

Crossing those against the Stampless Cover Catalog shows no handstamps in use in CT, IL, ME, NJ, and SC.

Black ink in use in NH and NY and red ink in OH.

Leaving only Andover, Massachusetts which is using blue ink in the 1850s - looks like an extremely high probability for a match with one or the other of their devices in that era, short of discovering an unlisted device or ink color elsewhere. Checking the font and spacing should make for an easy confirmation or refutation.
Edited by John Becker - 07/04/2022 4:11 pm
Page: of 156 Replies: 2,326 / Views: 106,684Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05