Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,352 / Views: 107,761Next Topic
Page: of 157
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 07/25/2022   8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SHARING:
This plate sat for a few years after making #10A's. When they brought it back into service, it had a crack. (Someone probably dropped it)

With plate 5 Late being used for an estimated 102,849 impressions (imperf stamps and another 2,906 impressions for perforated stamps) they didn't seem to care about the crack!

There aren't many examples that are connected such as these. I have a vertical strip of three on cover, and now a vertical strip of three off cover.

Stan Shepp

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
883 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice strip Stan!
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Caper.

Maybe I will share my on cover strip one day soon.

Stan Shepp
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've got an interesting cover to share and am seeking information on the manuscript marking on it.

Manuscript "J.P.P.W. Dec. 28, 1853" in pencil.
Manuscript "Pd" in pen.
It then received a "DEC 30 NORTHAMPTON, MS" CDS
And, assuming all went well, it later arrived in Cambridge, Mass.

Anyone have any idea what J.P.P.W. might stand for?
I searched railroads and couldn't find anything.

Is there a better place on here to post this?

Although the stamp looks like the cookie monster mistook it for a chocolate chip cookie, I included it here.

Thanks in advance.

Stan Shepp

Pillar Of The Community
4435 Posts
Posted 08/04/2022   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The letter was mailed at Northampton on Dec 30, (1853)

The recipient added the "JPPW ..." as docketing when he received the letter to note that the envelope contained a letter from "JPPW..." which was datelined Dec 28, 1853.

This letter was sent during the time short period when letters could be sent prepaid for 3 cents or collect for 5 cents. Building on that, the "pd" (and I agree it is likely "pd"), was likely added by the writer (note the similarity of the "p" in Joseph and the "d" in Cambridge), who then sent his stack of outgoing mail and payment with an officeboy to take to the PO. The "pd" made sure the clerk actually bought the stamps rather than pocketing the money and sending them all collect. An example of early office theft prevention.
Edited by John Becker - 08/04/2022 11:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, John.

That appears to be the correct scenario.

Stan
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this beauty today. Pretty stoked to receive it and scan it myself. It will look nice next to these others - one upgraded and the other also a 90J.

2006 PSE Cert with a grading of 90J.

Stan Shepp

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
247 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   11:56 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stan that is wonderful imaging and fine stamps, thanks for posting. Might you share how your scanner is set up and how to post such fine images? TIA
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Chipshot!

Here's another one to shar. Not a 90J by any stretch, but and unused #10 none-the-less.
(As described by H.R.Harmer) I may be sending this one in for a certificate.
There are some minor stains that could be a cancel.

Not yet plated.

Stan Shepp

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
247 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   3:43 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have just scanned this in and think I have a 11A in fair condition, but am posting it to see if my imaging might make it possible to be plated. I think it is an A relief and from plate 5L as I think there is rust damage at the top.

I am hoping my image management is improving. This particular stamp is not the best case scenario, however if it can be worked with I think I am making progress. My images by no means are like what Stan is able to produce. The Wizard gives me 85 images as candidates with these parameters. Will see if I can find what I think is a good match. I have not tried to do the compression recommended for analysis of the frame lines and doubt I can manage that.
Edited by Chipshot - 08/05/2022 4:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stan Shepp --

That stamp you posted earlier today that you say HR Harmer described as a supposedly unused #10 -- is actually a Scott #11 -- as it plates to 85R8.

As an additional confirming feature -- both the Chase and Lund copies of 95R8 (the adjoining stamp below) have large enough top margins to show both the LFL extension on 95R8 that pokes up just below the lower left corner of 85R8 -- and also the GD from 85R8 -- both of which are a solid match.

Based on your scan -- I agree with you that the stamp seems to have either the remnant of a cleaned cancel or some other type of soiling. Either way -- it is a stamp with a story.

Hopefully, HR Harmer will make it "right" without you having to go through the hassle of getting a cert.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
United States
130 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Iogaga,

I came back to say that I have two other friends who suggested the same thing - Dr. DiComo & Caj Brejtfus.

I already wrote to Harmer to let them know and told them that I would plate it tomorrow when I had the time. But it looks like I no longer need the time to plate it. :) Thank you very much for taking the time!

The price difference between an unused #10 & a used #11 is enormous!

Stan Shepp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1958 Posts
Posted 08/05/2022   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot, Your stamp image is pretty small, really grainy, and it appears a little out of focus. It looks like maybe it was scanned through a sheet of plastic, which maybe lifted the stamp off the scanner glass.

It looks plateable from the image, but it would be so much easier with a better one. Is there any way you can acquire and post a larger and clearer image?

If you want to email a 1200-DPI image to me, I can upload it full size.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
831 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up this Bellefonte PA cover because I was curious about the CDS. Oh, and the 11a too. =)

I've look in Simpson's without luck trying to identify the type of CDS. My best guess is that the dark rectangle says PAID or DIAP. Assuming the "3" is the mailing rate. Also, lower left corner on the cover someone wrote Paid. Looks like the same handwriting as the addressor.

Pillar Of The Community
4435 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: Bellefonte
May I suggest an alternative interpretation? This is a standard CDS, with 2 slots for changeable slugs. The upper slug would typically have a month indicator. For some reason it had been inserted in reverse and prints the flat, back side of the slug, either through clerk error or intentionally because they had lost that particular month's slug and used another one backwards instead. To interpret this as a "PAID" is wishing. The "3" is the day of the month.
Edited by John Becker - 08/06/2022 10:47 am
Page: of 157 Previous TopicReplies: 2,352 / Views: 107,761Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05