Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,428 / Views: 113,560Next Topic
Page: of 162
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your assessment, John. Thanks.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is Chipshot's 1200 DPI scan of the stamp on the previous page, if anyone wants to take a shot at plating it. Unfortunately, I see little, if any, improvement in clarity.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
835 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! John Becker, that makes sense. Thank you.

Interesting though that Bellefonte, PA doesn't pop up in any of the Post Mark reference books that I could find.

Okay then, off to try and plate the stamp.

Thanks again.
Pillar Of The Community
4493 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: Bellefonte

There is nothing "fancy" about the Bellefonte marking, so little reason for it to get widespread attention in the literature. It does show up as a 30mm CDS in the Stampless Cover catalog:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
835 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipshot, is your stamp on a complete cover or just a remnant? If it's on a complete cover or a larger remnant scan the whole thing in.
Try taking a picture with your phone or a digital microscope and compare that to the scan. I'm curious if the stamp is physically in that shape or if your scanner needs some attention.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
835 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John, appreciate the information.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   4:42 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Moyock13 and Classic Coins. The stamp is on a complete cover and it is not in that good of shape. Unfortuantely. Here is the entire, but I doubt I can provide a better image that what was just put up by Classic Coins.

I do have a digital microscope if someone wishes me to post a particular part of the stamp. Thanks,
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   5:00 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the same stamp modified to help show detail. I think it is an A relief and that it has two inner lines. Also plate 5 late. Confirmation on that would be appreciated, TIA

The stamp lacks a few important features like the top rt corner and the bottom frame line which might make it impossible to plate.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
835 Posts
Posted 08/06/2022   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Chipshot, just not clear enough to determine anything. I believe that your stamp is a B relief due to the impingement at the bottom of the oval. I just can't see enough detail to really tell much else.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
253 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   10:46 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock13 thank you for your input. I will change my search parameters and see if something jumps out at me. In the mean time here is an image of a plated 11A which is thanks to Classic Coins. I might be better off spending my time on the better stamps I have as opposed to those that are marginal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot. Yes, the position I plated that stamp to is 93R2L, and I noted that it is tied to a cover by an Aug 23 Fall River Mass handstamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Netherlands
540 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   03:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
someone told me "old" scott catalog had more variations on 10/10A/11/11a and the 25/26's in them.

stitch watermarks and vertically ribbed paper were 2 examples. I am wondering if anyone knows and would be willing to share what other variations got "lost" out the catalog over the years
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2750 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch, my example doesn't really qualify as a stamp variation but I notice in old catalogs, premiums listed for partial stamp used as 1c on cover.
Valued Member
United States
166 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a collection of pairs in today's mail.
I am interested in identifying the cancellations, and in particular for the first pair.

I searched Simpson, Skinner/Eno, & Cole - to no avail.

The cancellation on the second pair appears to be a fairly common cork type that could be from any of a number of towns.
The cancellation on the first pair is unusual and should be identifiable if another copy is known.

I used https://www.postmark-reveal.com/ and was about to say that it didn't help - and then I saw what looked like "GOOD DIVES" and a squid or something. Anyway, that's enough for these tired eyes today. GOOD DIVES and a Squid?!?! Or Stingray? It even seems to have 2 eyes!

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!

Stan Shepp

Edited by stanshepp - 08/08/2022 9:41 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
167 Posts
Posted 08/09/2022   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps its wood river or good river?
Page: of 162 Previous TopicReplies: 2,428 / Views: 113,560Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05