Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 2,438 / Views: 114,602Next Topic
Page: of 163
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stanshepp- I am curious - what color is the cancel claimed by the seller? I don't know that I would call it red. I don't know that I would call it orange. I KNOW I wouldn't call it yellow. It seems to be an amalgam of all these colors. So.... what would you call that??? It is a beautiful stamp - sharp impression and decent margins!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt,
Sellers description:

USA 1851 Scott#10A used 3 BROWN RED w/red cancel cv:$160

I haven't plated it yet, but I bid on it as a very nice 11A, Purplish-Claret (approaching plum?) shade. 4-margins, top row, with an incredible impression.

I probably overpaid for it, but I really liked it.

Stan Shepp
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harper,

And up!
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, I had to look up what color the seller called both the stamp and the cancel. I don't believe the seller had a clue about either.

She (Jessica?) has a variety of worldwide stamps for sale, some are very nice with certs, but this 3c was her only 3c Washington & it has no cert.

I dont think "Brown Red" is a very common color determination for this stamp either.

Stan
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
USA 1851 Scott#10A used 3 BROWN RED w/red cancel cv:$160

I haven't plated it yet, but I bid on it as a very nice 11A, Purplish-Claret (approaching plum?) shade. 4-margins, top row, with an incredible impression.

Hey Stan Shepp --

That stamp is position 7L2E -- note the very weak section of the LFL near its bottom -- which completely wore away when plate 2E was re-entered to become plate 2L -- resulting in a very distinct 4mm break in the LFL on position 7L2L.

The color in the seller's scan is very unusual (at least on my monitor) -- likely not true to the actual color of the stamp (??) -- will be interested to see an updated scan once you have the stamp in hand.

Regards // ioagoa
Edited by ioagoa - 08/17/2022 11:24 am
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa,

7L2E it is! - and much nicer than the other 2 that I already have.

It is uncommon for an advertised #10/A to actually be a #10/A.

Stan Shepp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
898 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting pair just received. Sc #9, positions 71-72L1L. The #71 is a triple transfer (one inverted) and #72 is a double transfer. I've included a scan of the pair and one each of the most interesting parts of the stamps.

Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharing today three 1851 3c imperf Washington stamps on matching light blue March of 1852 covers with matching Salem, Mass, "PAID w/ obliterator" cancels and each with matching red SALEM, MS. CDS with integral rate "3 Cts." marking.

Three #10A's on a cover with the red Salem integral rate 3Cts. CDS and associated "PAID" with dotted obliterator.
Alexander's Simpson's listing at the bottom for each of these markings.

2L0, B-relief, with the guide dot in the upper right corner.

50R0, B-relief, no guide dots, three lines recut in upper left triangle.

1A Position 47L1L, (Thanks ioagoa!) with color that closely matches the other 2 examples - probably/posibly Experiment Orange Brown.
Damaged lower left corner of stamp.

Alexander's Simpson's listings for the 2 markings.

Edited by stanshepp - 08/17/2022 8:19 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
836 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stanshepp, those are gorgeous folded covers and stamps.

I'm skeptical about the damaged stamp on the Salem cover in that there isn't any evidence of damage to the cover. And it doesn't appear that the ink is damaged either. It just looks funny to me.

Thanks for showing them.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is pretty well tied to the cover by the cancel. I am guessing that it was damaged prior to it being put on the cover. The sender just licked the corner piece and stuck it on as well.

I am guessing.

stan
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Stan Shepp --

That unplated stamp on the cover with the MAR 15(?) Salem CDS is position 47L1L -- so a Scott # 11A.

Despite that damaged lower left corner -- the stamp clearly has 1 line recut in the LLT -- and IMO, the RIL runs down too far (although not far enough for Chase to classify it as such).

If the color looks OB -- then possibly could be EOB -- (although impossible to colorize a stamp from a scan).

Nice set of Salem cancels!

// ioagoa
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
Posted 08/17/2022   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa,

Thanks! Not the first time Siegel mis-describes a stamp!

The color closely matches the other two, so probably/possibly EOB.

RIFL runs down too far in my book as well.

I appreciate your assistance.

Stan Shepp
Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up this cover with a batch of others at a recent auction. I believe the stamp is #11A.

I know ID'ing colors digitally is a challenge, but would you guess this is "brownish carmine" or a sulfuretted red? I haven't tried my hand at plating thus far, but perhaps that would provide a better clue.

The cover was postmarked in New Bedford, MA on October 22 maybe in 1852. That is the year penciled in on the inside of the cover, but I don't know if that is original. The cover was sent by Edward L. Baker, the treasurer of Wamsutta Mills located in New Bedford. Wamsutta Mills was founded in 1846 and is a going brand to this day. It is owned by Bed, Bath and Beyond.

The recipient was the cotton merchant of Greenleaf & Hubbard in New Orleans, LA. Greenleaf & Hubbard was a short-lived firm; it was founded in 1851 and was dissolved in 1860 over the partners' political differences. James Greenleaf was a Union man, while his partner, Daniel Hubbard, was a Southerner through and through.

Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Capthickey --

That stamp on your New Bedford, MA cover plates to position 23L3 -- which makes it a Scott #11A.

Regarding the color -- while it is almost impossible to ID colors from computer scans, I can tell you that your stamp is very sulphuretted -- so even with the stamp in hand (and with confirmed reference material for direct comparison) -- trying to ID its original color would most likely be a challenge.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 08/18/2022   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you ioagoa. I appreciate the plating info, and you confirmed my suspicion regarding sulfuretting.

Page: of 163 Replies: 2,438 / Views: 114,602Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05