Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,526 / Views: 120,534Next Topic
Page: of 169
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings all. I have plated this one to 1L1E and wanted verify with you all. I'm eliminating 1L1i because my specimen doesn't appear to have the right frame line extending downward to the upper right corner of stamp below (McDaniel Recut #39). Thanks in advance for your input.

Harper1249

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
916 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Har[er1249 - I agree. The missing McDaniel recut #39 is a sealer. I like the small engraver slip on the lower part of the left frame line.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 08/20/2022   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Caper123, I used that engravers slip to narrow it down to plate position. This was one of those lots listed as #11 but turned out to be a #10.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know who trimmed one of these but they need glasses more then I do. My daughter thinks the trimmed one is worthless but I don't know.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not worthless. It's a #11 most likely from plate 4 and and has a 1857 date stamp. Could make a decent color specimen.

Regards,
Harper1249
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Reddeye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks Harper1249
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That 7L2E finally showed up.

It came from Belgium, & was sent in a bulk package to Florida - where it was separated from the bulk package and entered the mail stream as "Priority Mail - with Tracking".

For some reason, it went to San Diego and was sitting there waiting for me to pick it up (It is a 6 hour drive from my part of Arizona)

We finally got it back into the mail stream an it showed up at the post office yesterday.

It is an odd color.

I gave it (2) H2O2 treatments for about 1 minute each - and this shows the change that occurred.

Stan Shepp

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
848 Posts
Posted 09/04/2022   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
StanShepp, looks like it turned out pretty nice. Well done!

I'm still pretty hesitant to clean stamps in H2O2. I'm always afraid that I'll end up with a blank scrap of paper.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 09/05/2022   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings all. I've plated this one to 17L3 and was hoping you all could confirm. I compared it with Chase, Lund and SSD and I'm still not completely convinced I'm right based on those specimens. Hope all are well out there.

Regards,
Harper1249

Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 09/06/2022   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Harper --

17L3 is confirmed.

This is a great example of how differences in inking, impression, and plate wear between your stamp and the various reference material you cited can readily give pause -- but I am confident that you nailed it as 17L3.

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2500 Posts
Posted 09/06/2022   02:24 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would plate it if I felt like I had to but it is highly unlikely that the putative 7L2E was an OB stamp that went to the color shown (pre H2O2 bath). The after picture looks like the color you would expect it to, a deep brownish carmine from an 1852 printing. If it is a Plate 2 stamp, it is surely late state rather than early state.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 09/06/2022   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the confirmation Ioagoa.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my earlier posts about this stamp (First Posted 08/17/2022 12:16 am)
USA 1851 Scott#10A used 3 BROWN RED w/red cancel cv:$160
I haven't plated it yet, but I bid on it as a very nice 11A, Purplish-Claret (approaching plum?) shade. 4-margins, top row, with an incredible impression.
....Skip a Few....
7L2E it is! - and much nicer than the other 2 that I already have.
It is uncommon for an advertised #10/A to actually be a #10/A.

Sinclair,
I do believe that you are correct.
Late state of the plate - And the color is nowhere near any Orange Brown that I have, but fits into my 2L reconstructions rather nicely.

Thanks!
Stan Shepp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2500 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   4:50 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stan, I didn't realize the plating of the stamp had already been discussed. I believe ioagoa meant to say 7L2L rather than 7L2E.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
Posted 09/07/2022   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stanshepp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed
Page: of 169 Previous TopicReplies: 2,526 / Views: 120,534Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05