Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 864 / Views: 24,324Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1022 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crow.. My days not complete without a few "oops", usually when talking to my wife. I've gotten used to the taste of shoe leather.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4616 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1542 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, Those are some amazing, world-class gems! Thanks for showing them.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
838 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Magnificent rogdcam!
I'm so jealous!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
341 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pair of Sc. 17s on a bit of cover. Posted elsewhere some time ago, but now collocating.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1542 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb1979, I love imperforate pairs. Yours is super nice, with good margins and a light cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2067 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty stamps on this page.

jleb - its quite possible that your #17 pair went to Britain, as the postage to get there was 24c, and it was very commonly paid by two 12c stamps.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
341 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Classic Coins.
The light cancel is nice in some respects -- lets one see the splendid engraving better -- but I do wish I could read the town cancel better.
The best transform I can see in Retroreveal is below.

Looks like "_ _ _ERSBU[RG]" to me, but perhaps someone has seen this cancel before in a more complete state and might identify. Might it be Petersburg Va? Cotton producing area in correspondence with England?

And thanks again txstamp for the lead on the probable destination.

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All -- new member here and this is my first post -- mostly an attempt to learn how upload photos in SCF format. This is Sc # 10A -- position 60R1i -- with an NY APL (versus APR) cds -- not often seen on OB stamps as a bit of a late usage. Apologies in advance if the image upload is not to SCF standard.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2067 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! Nice stamp.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TXSTAMP -- here is another "test photo upload" -- (this scan made at half the resolution of the last one). These are both position 45R2 -- Early state of the plate on the left -- and Late state of the plate on the right. This is the Chase listed recut variety #26 -- "vertical line ties upper left corner of ULDB to TFL". Again -- apologies in advance if the scan is not up to SCF standards.

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One last test post to check scan settings -- as resolution had to be further reduced to meet the SCF 200 jpg maximum. This is a reconstructed block of 8 -- positions 87-100L8 -- (87-90L8 strip of 4 on top -- plus 2 pairs at bottom) -- all taken from a cover to Great Britain. Mixed blue/black FEB 27 Oberlin, OH cds cancels and red "19" credit handstamp (16c due to Britain for ocean carriage by British packet boat -- plus 3c inland postage in Britain). An unusual piece of "off cover" postal history. Color is typical 1856 brownish carmine.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2067 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reconstructed block is a nice item. Plate 8 no less. Nice.

Too bad its off cover now, it would have been nice to see the full cover that it was on.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1542 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ioagoa, those are some really nice 3-cent imperforates.

I especially like the reconstructed plate 8 block. I look for plate 8 imperforates when building my collection, and I cherish the ones I have for their generally heavily cut frame lines and nicer colors.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1542 Posts
Posted 05/29/2020   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb1979, As you suggested, Petersburg VA is a possible match for the CDS on your #17 pair:

Edited by Classic Coins - 05/29/2020 4:36 pm
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 864 / Views: 24,324Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 6.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05