Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 702 / Views: 18,043Next Topic
Page: of 47
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chip, I recognize that cover from "the sale" last Oct.

Centerline plate 1E material that looks like that is not easily found.

Very nice.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1459 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice indeed, chipg.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1011 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tex and CC-
Yes, that and the 3-denomination cover on page 2 of this thread were two of my three 1851-issue acquisitions from that sale. They were the three items I wanted and I got them for what I considered reasonable amounts.

Here are the stamps from the third - just a pair of Type IV Scott 9s - positions 55-56L1L:

and here's the cover (circular) from New Orleans to Austria that they are on:

Very happy with them all.
Chip

Edited by chipg - 05/30/2020 6:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of bottom row left pane plate 1E material, I do have this 92-93L1E pair.
These are Ty II, #7.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
504 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TX - I have a similar cover from the same correspondence.

These seem to be scarcer than covers with '47s or #12. The US postage to port for the Cunard Sailing to Halifax was never a published rate and was not set by the US-GB treaty. The US charged ordinary postage to the port until sometime in '54 when the PO began charging the 5 cent British Open Mail Rate for mail to Halifax.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1459 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
chipg and txstamp, Those are outstanding pairs! Don't you love it when you get parts of someone else's stamps?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2285 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   9:04 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There has been some great stuff posted to this thread, but that 92-93L1E pair that Tex just posted is in my mind one of the finest pairs of blue stamps you can obtain. Just incredible.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more examples of 3c 1851 imperforate "philatelic history" -- these 3 stamps ex-Chase -- from his original plate reconstructions as photographed by the Smithsonian. The first is 40R1E -- the second is 64R1E -- and the third is 55L2L.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1459 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Those stamps used in the Chase Smithsonian prints are philatelic history indeed! I've always wondered if any of the Chase print stamps ended up in my collection, but I seriously doubt it.

I'd be interested in knowing how you acquired them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were these stamps culls from his platings, or do you have some of the platings themselves?
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamps and classic coins --

Regarding the ex Chase photo stamps and how I came to acquire them -- all I can say is that it was pure luck.

When I first discovered that I had stumbled upon a number of these stamps, I attempted to research what happened to the Chase photo stamps after his death in May 1960.

I learned that the Chase platings were sold intact as a complete set in a Samuel C. Paige auction held on December 8, 1961 (lot # 14). Fast forward to October 21, 2010 -- Siegel's sale # 996 of Wagshal's 3c 1851 -- 1857 collection -- lot # 3003 in that sale was described as the Chase / Card plating -- and the lot description stated, in part, that Card purchased Chase's plating and then spent years improving upon it. If you closely examine the extract photo in the Siegel sale catalogue -- picturing the top half of the left pane of plate 1 early -- there are a handful of ex Chase photo stamps included. And, no I was not the buyer.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that as Card upgraded (and also remounted) the Chase plating, he either sold off or traded away those stamps he did not want -- and that over the years these stamps have, more likely than not, scattered widely among 3-cent collectors.

Unbelievably, the 2 stamps I posted earlier this evening from plate 1E were found on eBay -- and the 2L stamp was part of a trade with a fellow 3-cent collector. I also stumbled upon a number of these ex-Chase stamps in a bulk 3-cent lot I purchased around 6 years ago -- but until recently when I started to confirm some of the plate positions, I did not even know I had them. You can imagine my surprise when I went to compare my stamp to the stamp in the Chase photo -- and realized that the stamp I was holding in my tongs was, in fact, "the" stamp in the Chase photo.

Again -- pure luck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2285 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   08:32 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 88L1E on part India from the Chase reconstructions. I have a few and may have some others, whenever I get a chance to check...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1459 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Thanks for answering our questions about the Chase photo stamps you acquired. Your story is postal history in its own right. Even the Chase photo collection was subject to the philatelic continuous improvement process!

Winston, Thanks for showing your Chase photo stamp too.

Seeing both of your stamps makes me now think I could have a Chase photo stamp when I never considered it a possibility before.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more pieces of philatelic history -- and in one of my favorite areas of study -- which is the range of colors seen in the 1851 3 cent imperforate issue. These examples of the plate 2L and plate 3 orange browns were sold together as a single lot in Siegel's Amonette sale # 783 in October 1996 -- Lot # 61 -- each on a mounting card written up by Dr. Chase -- and with additional notes verso by Bill Amonette ...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/31/2020   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for reminding me about Devere Card.

I used to know about this, but, alas, I stepped out of the hobby for awhile, and I still can't remember what I've forgotten.
Page: of 47 Replies: 702 / Views: 18,043Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05