Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 647 / Views: 16,373Next Topic
Page: of 44
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampcrow and classic coins -- Those are some nice recuts -- thanks for posting them.

classic coins -- further your last post asking for another copy of 60R2E -- here is my copy -- and YES -- it does appear that there is a vertical line recut along the upper third of the left side of the ULDB.

Great observation!! Curious that this was not noted by either Chase or McDaniel -- but I am adding a note about this to my plating data reference files for future reference.

Regards // ioagoa

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by ioagoa - 06/29/2020 10:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2052 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie - your 1c stamp here is Position 21R1E.
Part of the notable double transfer on 22R1E is visible to the right in the margin.

http://goscf.com/t/72775&whichpage=36#650719
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1433 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, Nice work on plating Laurie's 21R1e.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1433 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Thanks for showing your 60R2e to show another example of this apparent recut.

Currently, the only two positions attributed with Variety #38 Vertical Line Recut Along Upper Left Side of Upper Left Diamond Block, are 69R1e and 24L2e.

In addition to 60R2e, 14L1L seems like it could have recut varieties 37 and 38. Can anyone show a high-res closeup of the ULDB on 14L1L (I don't have one)?

There currently is no position documented to have recuts 37 and 38. 60R2e (and possibly 14L1L) would be the only position with recut combination:

Variety #1 Two Inner Lines
Variety #11 One Vertical Line Recut in Upper Left Triangle
Variety #37 One Horizontal Line Recut at Top of Upper Left Diamond Block
Variety #38 Vertical Line Recut Along Upper Left Side of Upper Left Diamond Block

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi classic coins --

Further your last post -- here is a scan of my copy of 14L1L -- not the best stamp in the world -- but at least the ULDB is not obscured by cancel -- and YES -- it does appear that there is a vertical line recut along the upper half of the left side of the ULDB.

Curious how you searched for and discovered this recut variety -- would you be willing to share your "tips and tricks" in this regard?

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1433 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa,

Thanks for showing your 14L1L.

I found 14L1L by filtering on recuts 1+11+37 in Bryan's plating Excel database on stampplating.com. Then I looked at the Stamp Smarter and Lund copies of 14L1L, mainly to look at the horizontal line. That's when I noticed the possible vertical line.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1433 Posts
Posted 06/29/2020   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11A position 100R2L showing recut varieties:

Variety #1 Two Inner Lines
Variety #12 Two Vertical Lines Recut in Upper Left Triangle
Variety #28 Top Label & Upper Left Diamond Block Joined at Top

I don't see why this wouldn't be a Variety #37, too One Horizontal Line Recut at Top of Upper Left Diamond Block, since recut #28 on this position occurred as a result of recut #37 being made. Just sayin'. . .

The arrow points to the rosette flaw that may be visible on any US 1851-57 3-cent imperforate stamp because it came from the damaged original die.

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   01:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi classic coins --

Your 100R2L is a really beautiful example of recut variety #28. Thanks for sharing it!

Regards // ioagoa

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   01:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All --

Lets keep this thread going with some pre-printing paper folds.

To get started, here is a striking pre-printing paper fold with a blue Cincinnati cds cancel on a bottom row B relief from plate 1L -- also a bit of a dry paper impression as well.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2052 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've posted this before, but here is 64-65-66R1E all Ty II.

This is a well-known 1c cover, with the pre-printing paper fold vertically through 65R1E; unfortunately has separated it a bit.

65R1E is a great double transfer, as the whole bottom 1/3rd of the stamp is shifted/blurred.

This is a July 1851 usage, with the stamps obliterated with the Philadelphia '1' drop cancel instead of a normal killer or CDS.

Ashbrook's writing on the front.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
589 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, txstamp, interesting paper folds. I'm sure that all I have are wannabe creases. Thanks for sharing.

I'm still trying to catch up on the recuts! =)

Keep it all coming! I find this extremely interesting!

Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1433 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampcrow showed a dramatic pre-print crease on page 4.

txstamp and ioagoa, those are some striking examples. Thanks for showing them.

Here are my two less dramatic pre-print crease examples, that I acquired 40 years ago:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5940 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning cover TX.

A couple of 1 pairs I haven't gotten around to plating yet. Don't post them if you know what they are, I enjoy the detective work.

Crease in the first stamp but I've decided to leave them intact.

Valued Member
United States
246 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have loads of POST-printing paper folds. Heck, most of them are probably post-19th-century paper folds. Do they count?

I don't mean to take away from the beautiful examples shown here, but I just can't get excited about pre-printing paper folds. Although my first love is 1847's and 1851's, another area of interest is 1st issue revenues. Pre-printing folds/creases are almost ubiquitous there. There are plenty of auctions/lists where the majority of revenues for sale are creases/folds. To me, they are almost a fault --- I KNOW they are not, but I can't help the feeling. I think I have generalized that feeling from the almost ubiquitous folded/creased revenues to the other areas of USA in general. I think I strive for perfection and a freak, like a crease/fold just 'upsets' my sense of perfection. Throw a C3a (certainly imperfect) at me, though, and I could get pretty excited. I am still trying to figure out why I am so 'judgmental' about my stamps. Different strokes for different folks.

Added: Maybe I am just jealous because I don't have anything as striking as the examples being shown here.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 06/30/2020 1:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 06/30/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp -- your 1c blue 64-66R1E cover is an exhibition showpiece and a piece of philatelic history in its own right. I am relatively new to SCF so had not seen it before -- thanks for posting it to this thread.

classic coins -- very nice examples of the pre-printing paper folds -- thanks for posting them.

mootermutt987 -- understand your perspective -- and would love to see some of your 1851 imperforate material as I believe most all of us enjoy looking at pretty stamps.
Edited by ioagoa - 06/30/2020 8:47 pm
Page: of 44 Previous TopicReplies: 647 / Views: 16,373Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05