Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 866 / Views: 24,502Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#10A with a straight-line PAID cancel

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi classic coins --

That is some really nice material you have posted over the past few days. I especially like the Chase plated pair with the Lexington, KY cds.

Continuing the "show and tell" theme of this thread -- and also a bit of plating 101 -- here is a #10A -- position 71R2E -- (and is also "the" stamp in the Chase photo).

The interesting thing about this stamp is that it shows the center line from plate 2E which Chase described in his book as "decidedly odd" -- as between the top of the plate and the 6th horizontal row, it is made up of two lines close together and of equal thickness. Then between the 7th, 8th, and 9th horizontal rows it is made up of two lines close together -- but with the right line being noticeably heavier than the left line (which the attached scan shows very well). And finally, opposite the 10th horizontal row -- the center line shows as one single, fairly heavy line.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ioagoa, I appreciate the compliments.

That's a beautiful Chase-photo orange brown, with a nice blue Troy CDS. Thanks for posting the stamp and the interesting Chase comments about the center line.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2642 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 69-70L2L

Edited by stampcrow - 07/09/2020 7:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stampcrow --

Your 69-70L2L pair is a great example of the doubling of the center line on the late state of the plate.

With regard to the center line on the late state of plate 2 -- Chase notes that it "has certain peculiarities" -- and goes on to explain that opposite the 2nd through the 8th horizontal rows -- and sometimes the 9th, the center line is doubled with the right half being much heavier than the left. However, opposite the 1st, 10th, and, sometimes in later impressions, the 9th row -- the line is single.

A double center line like the one shown in your pair is always a tip-off for plate 2.

Again -- great position piece and thanks for showing it.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pair with margins all around, Stephen!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Staying on the topic of center lines, Carroll Chase wrote that the plate 6 center line is single, but it varies considerably in thickness, even opposite single stamps.

The center line left of this position 1R6 stamp doesn't show much variation in thickness.

The CDS is Boonsboro, Maryland. I love how Washington's eye shows neatly through the O.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#10A pair, positions 69L1i and 70L1i, plated by Dick Celler

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
627 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pair, Classic Coins! Sacramento CDS.

And I did like the 1R6 with George peeking through the "O".

Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Moyock13. I appreciate your feedback and contributions.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
classic coins --

Your 69-70 L1i is a very nice OB pair -- thanks for sharing it -- and please keep the "eye candy" flowing -- this is a great thread that you started!

Back into the recuts -- here is one that I just plated today -- a #10A -- position 99R2E -- showing recut variety #30 -- "line ties upper label to upper right diamond block and extends out to right frame line".

Regards // ioagoa

Edited by ioagoa - 07/10/2020 9:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2642 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm trying to capture the color of the top left stamp. My camera is good for showing showing detail but doesn't get colors right. My scanner is useless for seeing details but is better showing colors.

I haven't plated any of these stamps (lazy I know) but I believe the top left is plate 1L and the other three are Orange Brown stamps.
I tucked it, the top left stamp, away with these other light OB stamps knowing I would eventually have to deal with it.

It has a touch of red hue to it but seems to brownish to be exp OB and lacks the purplish hue I see in Clarets.
Edited by stampcrow - 07/10/2020 10:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, ioagoa. I appreciate it.

That's a great example of recut #30 on your 99R2e! Thanks for showing it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1545 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen, Those are three great looking OBs. Do two of them have no inner lines?

What color is that plate 1L stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2642 Posts
Posted 07/10/2020   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Gary, I edited the post after I posted the pictures.
As you can see by my dialogue above, I don't know what color it is. It looks closest to a light, I think pale is the term, Orange Brown.
Edited by stampcrow - 07/10/2020 11:15 pm
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 866 / Views: 24,502Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05