Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,276 / Views: 39,455Next Topic
Page: of 86
Pillar Of The Community
United States
549 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   8:54 pm  Show Profile Check rlmstamps2012's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlmstamps2012 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that is a beautiful stamp!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rlmstamps2012 - 08/07/2020 9:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a;ways slow on the upload, but here's a top row like what ioagoa showed. Thought I could share it. The second stamp I've plated 42R1L. I thought it was just inking issues but maybe it's also a late printing..?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
Posted 08/07/2020   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, rlmstamps2012.

Stephen, Those are some great plate 1L worn-plate examples.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of 3-cent stamps that I have always wondered about in terms of the color of the cancellations. Definitely not worth sending in for a cert -- as both stamps are average to fine centered and have minor paper faults -- but at the same time, both have colored cds cancels that are potentially scarce.

The first one is a Scott #11A -- unplated -- and has a "possible" orange cds cancel -- (town is indistinct).

The second one is a Scott #11 -- position 69L4 -- and has a "possible" brown cds cancel -- (town on this one is also indistinct).

I have not seen enough confirmed copies of orange and brown cancels to say if either of these would get clean certs from the perspective of the color of the cancellation -- but nonetheless, they still make a nice showing on an album page of colored cancels.

Regards // ioagoa

Note -- the usual disclaimer regarding identification of colors vis--vis online scanned images applies. More specifically -- because of variations in scanner settings, and because different display screens render colors differently, these images are not be suitable for confirming colors of cancellations / stamps in hand or in other images.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
664 Posts
Posted 08/09/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ioagoa,

I'm taken by the orange cds. Nice! Looks like CANDIA, New Hampshire (NH) cds. PO established in 1815.

Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an #11A (88L3) on a ladies cover canceled in black by a fancy PAID 3 hand stamp in Ipswich Massachusetts. The red CDS has an inverted 1.

I don't know the significance of the markings on the right side of the back of the cover.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
664 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2/5/32 W.T.P.
LUL/62

My guess is folks who have previously owned the cover and the date purchased.

Looks like it was plated in 1954.

If you look closely, there are other markings on the back cover along the lower edge. Either erased or faint.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
Posted 08/10/2020   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your inputs, Moyock13.

I just realized after posting this that I purchased this cover from Bill Amonette. So the LUL/62 could be his database record number, but it doesn't look like his normal format. I'm not sure if the position annotation is Bill's.

I think you're right that the 2/5/32 W.T.P.could be an owner's purchase record.

The '54 under the plate position annotation would be the year of use.
Edited by Classic Coins - 08/10/2020 10:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
11A pair from sheet positions 13L2L and 14L2L, with a Jul 7 1857 Norristown CDS. The color is yellow brown.

This is one of those favorable mis-cuts, showing parts of five other positions.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1671 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my smallest cover, franked with a yellowish rose red #11A, and sent from Wellington, Ohio to Oberlin, Ohio.

These two small towns are only 8.7 miles apart, so the sender didn't include the state in the address. The docketing states that it was received five days after it was posted, but the letter simply may have not been retrieved from the PO box until five days later.

I like the inscription on the back flap, that reads: Please an . . . swer soon.

The cover is ex-Amonette with a note from him stating that this is the smallest cover that he has seen that was mailed. The note includes his database record number at the bottom.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/14/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great piece Gary!! Love the YRR color and of course the Amonette notations.
This little cover if I remember correctly was my first 1851-57. I liked the overlapping cancels.

There's a single page letter content from a young man to his parents.
Full size sheet of thin paper stuffed in this little cover.
Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if we are going to whip out rulers and measure the smallest one, mine might be in the running for smallest:

In this Age of COVID, this cover is in the bank and the branch has been closed for quite a while, so I don't (think I) have easy access. So.... technically, I have never measured this cover. I bought it in 2009. Also, I have not plated it. It is a 10A with nice color. Comparing images, it is clearly small, but I think (after flipping back and forth between images) the previous two are slightly smaller.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mooter while you may not qualify for the smallest cover due to lack of measurement..., you're stamps color is spectacular!
Isn't it great something that old can still be so vibrant?!

I have a couple that appear similar. I call them "ripe tomato".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2710 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
429 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a couple that appear similar. I call them "ripe tomato".

Really pretty, SC! Just about ready for pickin'.

It is amazing that some of these can look so fresh and rich-in-color after all these years. When I look for a new 10/10A, I look (probably) first at color, and not "Is it OB, or some shade?", but "Is it fresh and rich?" I've got enough copies that I don't need another average washed-out copy. Of course, if there is another aspect that 'grabs' me, like a plate variety or a catchy cancel or beautiful margins, I have to accept the freshness and richness, as it is.
Page: of 86 Previous TopicReplies: 1,276 / Views: 39,455Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05