Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,255 / Views: 38,345Next Topic
Page: of 84
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
131 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just seeing small covers and I will post this image. If and when I get my hands on it I will check its' dimensions. I think it is under 4 inches, not an envelope but just folded paper.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/15/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been away on travel.

Stephen, I like that 3cts Boston CDS.

mootermutt987, the OB on that New Bury Port cover look intense. Is it a color variant?

Chipshot, It's good to see you posting. That's a really nice Port Huron, Michigan FLS.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
664 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guy's, nice small covers. Here's a small cover with an 11, relief A, 40R7, doesn't really compete for the smallest though. More interesting to me are the markings on the back.

Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice small covers. I might have one to post.

But in the mean-time I have a question about the stamp below (on cover). I have not tried to plate this yet but I am going to. The question is, should I consider this an 11A with no inner LFL? or is there a faint inner LFL?

Nice double transfer at bottom. Anything else I have missed that can be used to plate this one?

Enlarged crops of bottom and left below stamp image:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice, clear printing, banknoteguy.

Yes, If it has at least one inner frame line on either side it is an 11A.

This is a very familiar position. Let us know how you plate it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock13, That's a nice ladies cover, from a town I've never heard of. Thanks for showing it.
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I think I need to clarify what I was asking.

In using the Plating Wizard, one of the options deals with Inner Lines
and the options are:

This stamp looks like it has only one inner frame line but under magnification, I see a faint partial left inner frame line. Should I select Two Inner lines or Right Inner Line only?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah. I misunderstood. Technically, your stamp has two inner lines.
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I plate this as 83L5L.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done! The reason I wrote; "This is a very familiar position" is because I posted another 83L5L on page 9 of this thread.
Valued Member
170 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add banknoteguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I remembered seeing one like this earlier but this thready now has so many pages it is somewhat difficult to review all the pages! And you can't search if you don't have a handle. But after I plated it, I did use the search and saw you had posted a nice example on page 9 of this thread.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This #11A is from sheet position 78L3, "three rows" Variety #8 One Extra Line at Right (Two Inner Lines).

It's a pretty clear printing, in a nice color that I haven't determined yet (possibly yellow brown)

I'm trying to figure out if this was canceled with a manuscript town name, but I haven't figured out the town, if that's what it is. Possibly South Stow* on the top line. Could it be a postmaster's name? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
664 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that it's not a postmaster, could be a clerk. I googled postmasters from 1850's and only one or two fit.

1. Samuel Stowrs PM 04/22/1857 PIMENTO VIGO COUNTY IN
2. Samuel Stow Jr. PM 12/10/1849 WHITNEY POINT BROOME COUNTY NY

Too bad it's not complete with the cover.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1663 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Thanks for the research, Moyock13!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 08/16/2020   10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it two different hands?
Page: of 84 Replies: 1,255 / Views: 38,345Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05