Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,251 / Views: 38,084Next Topic
Page: of 84
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
450 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt, Alan Cohen is a very highly respected New York City dealer in classic U. S. stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 09/15/2020   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rhett - now that I see someone else write it, I realize that. I got my copy about 35 years ago, and (I think) the signature was old even then. It looks like it is written with a fountain pen. I found his website and read his bio - he graduated college 10 years before me. I suspect the signature is too old to be his, but of course I could be wrong about that. Perhaps I could contact him.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
450 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt, sure there could have been another collector with that name in the past. You should call this Alan and ask him about the book; I have talked with him on the phone several times when buying from him in the past few years. He is very knowledgeable about classic U.S. and is pleasant to talk with.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is this an example of "short transfer" or underinking or something else...?
I'm refering to the areas in the top label and the RDB that lack ink.
I darkened the label close-up pic so it stands out better.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1661 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   10:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chase wrote that many of the stamps on plates 1e and 1i show evidence of short transfer, but he didn't mention short transfers occurring on other plates. However, short transfers must have occurred on other plates, since the top of the design was strengthened by recutting at so many positions.

Your stamp looks like a great example of a short transfer to me.

Three lines recut in the upper left triangle. Do you know the position?
Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
Posted 09/16/2020   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting position piece, stampcrow! It looks like the recut line in the top label separates from the main label. There is a large variation in distance between the letters in the label and the recut line. Also, it looks like 3 lines recut in the UL triangle. Oops - Classic already said that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
867 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this is appropriate but if anyone has a decent #10 at a reasonable price they would like to sell or even swap? I would appreciate the opportunity!
Edited by Laurie 02 - 09/17/2020 02:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it a #10 specifically or would a 10A fill the spot?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1661 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although Chase only wrote about short transfers on plates 1e and 1i in his book, he identified short transfers on other plates in his margin annotations on the Smithsonian prints, with 68L6 and 97L7 being two examples.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gary, I assumed it to be a plate 2L stamp but I haven't been able to plate it.
That's why I began to wonder if it's plate wear and not a short transfer?!
There aren't many 3 lines ULT. This should've been easy. But alas...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1661 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen, It's 30R3.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
867 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 10 stampcrow, I have a nice 10a
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 09/17/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Gary
Laurie, I'll take a look.
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an interesting stamp -- Scott #11A -- position 27L2L -- with fresh color -- 1852 brownish carmine with more brown.

This position, in addition to having 3 lines recut in the upper left triangle, shows the "flaw in oval" described by Chase as possibly a tiny scratch -- starting at the right edge of the lower left rosette opposite its center -- running upward and a little to the right -- and crossing the white oval around the medallion above the R of THREE.

Regards // ioagoa

Note -- the usual disclaimer regarding identification of colors vis--vis online scanned images applies. More specifically -- because of variations in scanner settings, and because different display screens render colors differently, this image is not suitable for confirming colors of other stamps in hand or in other images.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
663 Posts
Posted 09/18/2020   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mention that top frame line, it definitely has personality. I especially like the squiggly on the left end.

Thanks for sharing ioagoa. Speaking of plate scratches, I have 38L1L with the scratch on the lower left that Chase discusses.

Page: of 84 Previous TopicReplies: 1,251 / Views: 38,084Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05