Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,260 / Views: 38,701Next Topic
Page: of 84
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2368 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   2:34 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The dot above ULDB is from when the DB was gouged out during the recutting of Plate 1L. The recutting just went outside the boundaries a little.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1665 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, sinclair2010.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a SON City Delivery cancel. Shame it's so shabby.
Wonder if anyone here has one on cover?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1665 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen, That's an interesting and unusual cancel for a 3-center. Thanks for showing it.

The first post in this thread shows a similar cancel on a 1-cent imperforate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2706 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gary I hadn't noticed that before. That's a nice red cancel on a nice stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming this is a Scott #11? Postmarked Aug. 13th 1856

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1665 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stamp, stallzer. It's an 11A, almost certainly from plate 5L.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6081 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CC. It is on a cover I just acquired that I posted here.

http://goscf.com/t/57739&whichpage=27

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1665 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a superb cover, stallzer, especially with the 1-cent pair with inverted/double transfers!
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stallzer --

FYI -- classic coins is correct that the #11A on your August 13, 1856 cover is from plate 5 Late.

I plated the stamp from your scan and it is position 56R5L.

I am at the "Sesame Street" level when it comes to the 1 cent blues -- but I will say that is a very nice cover!

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   03:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cover, Stallzer! I like the mixed frankings that we see from this era. Interestingly, this could have just as easily been franked with a single #12. I would bet the PO of origin didn't have the 5c of the issue on that day. Nothing wrong with the 5c on cover - I just prefer mixed frankings. Lots of pretty colors! We see lots of covers from New Orleans to France franked with the 5-centers of the day, both perf and imperf.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
664 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting 11A, 24L1L with lower right double dots and a right inner line that runs really long north and south (Chase recut 25)

Also, there are three characters across Georges face, above the 29. that I'm not able to identify. Any thoughts? This is one of those "wish it was still attached to the cover" stamps.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
324 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly "OCT"
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1665 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting stamp, Moyock13. I agree that it looks like OCT.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
664 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does resemble OCT, but the 24L1L cancel looks more to me like hieroglyphics though.

So, thought I would try a different route with a different 3c stamp and try to identify the relief before plating. I came away with an "A" relief.

And on this particular stamp there is a curious squiggly line running north and south in the URT running to the URDB.

There's also a very faint right inner line, you can just barely see it closing in on the upper right rosette.

Edited by Moyock13 - 09/26/2020 1:44 pm
Page: of 84 Previous TopicReplies: 1,260 / Views: 38,701Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05