Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,335 / Views: 43,414Next Topic
Page: of 89
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   8:38 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody. CC, nice strip. I like big margins as much as anybody probably but what I really care about is between them!

ioagoa, I have tons of 3c stuff but not much in the way of eye candy multiples. This is an image that I have at the ready because I posted it several years ago now, it is an ex. Phil Rose item. I can post more as I get the time and as I can find what I am looking for!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this qualifies as eye candy but is a decent item. Supposed to be 93-94L2E which I can believe but have not tried to confirm.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sinclair --

Your ex Phil Rose pair with the Oct 7, blue Philly CDS cancels is a real beauty.

Not sure if the pair is plated -- but FYI, I plate it to 77-78R5E.

The color on that pair really pops !! Very nice.

Regards // ioagoa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are eye candy indeed, Winston! The bright blue Philadelphia CDS is striking on the OB pair!

I confirmed the 93-94L2e plating of the Sacramento pair.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Philadelphia CDS is interesting to me because not only the color, but also the the CDS font changed over the years, as covered by the USPCS page below.

https://www.uspcs.org/stamps-covers...t-10-and-11/

I somehow acquired four folded letters from the Lockwood estate from three different sellers, all franked with 3-cent imperforates.

This July 18 1851 FLS is addressed to Amos Deforest Lockwood (1811 to 1884), textile mill engineer and remodeler, and founder of A.D. Lockwood and Company.

The stamp is unplated.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another blue Philadelphia CDS, Nov 26, on an 1851 FLS from the Lockwood estate, with a link to the Find A Grave memorial for Amos Deforest Lockwood. This letter is addressed to Amos Lockwood's brother Moses.

This stamp is also unplated.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial...est-lockwood

Edited by Classic Coins - 10/17/2020 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston's early impression #9 pair here:

http://goscf.com/t/72775&whichpage=82#664825

is 26-27R1L.
Just documenting that.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2371 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   5:21 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate all of the plating help guys. There is no way I have the time for it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 10/18/2020   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Winston, thanks for contributing to this thread.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 77L3 78L3 pair.

77L3 has a left inner line that runs both up and down too far (varieties 23 and 24). The left inner line goes right past the upper-left rosette to pretty near the top of the triangle. This essentially becomes a recut line in the upper-left triangle, but it is not classified as such because it is a continuation of the inner line.

78L3 is, of course, a three-rows position, with an extra line at right (variety 8).

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While trying to plate this 10A with a four-bar New York cancel today, I saw that the right inner line ran down too far (variety 25). The sheet position is 95L2e, which is not attributed with variety #25.

The Chase print doesn't show this well due to poor clarity. Neither the example on stampplating.com, nor the first image on Stamp Smarter shows this well due to the feature being obscured by the cancel. The second image on Stamp Smarter does show the feature, and a closeup of it is shown in the third image below.

I realize that how far the inner line has to extend to be called a "too far" recut is subjective, but I just wanted to show this observation.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
148 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sinclair2010 and Classic Coins - The blue cancels on orange stamps are just beautiful. You both have great collections.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, widglo46. I appreciate your participation.
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic and Sinclair --

Agree with Widglo46 -- the blue cancels against the OB color are striking! And, Classic -- your most recent 4-bar NY cancel on your 95L2E is quite nice as well.

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, ioagoa.
Page: of 89 Replies: 1,335 / Views: 43,414Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05