Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,341 / Views: 43,956Next Topic
Page: of 90
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11A single and strip of three tied by three strikes of an Apr 17 Indianapolis PAID CDS on a quadruple-rate cover. The strip is positions 66R3, 67R3, and 68R3. The single is unplated.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   12:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I'm late with this one but I agree with the comments about blue cancels and OB stamps. Thought I'd share this one.

Wonderful multiple Gary!! Great cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 4-times rate is nice. It looks like there were legal documents in that - which very often would cause things to be overweight. I assume its reduced a bit at left.

A friend long ago, used to keep a census of large multiple-rate 3c uses. I think he started with 5-times rates, and up. Unfortunately, I never saw his data, and I don't know that it got published.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice cover and cancel, Stephen! I've never seen that Toledo blue cancel before.

txstamp, you're right. The Indianapolis cover was reduced by more than an inch at left. It is stressed near the edges - evidence that the contents were thick.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
10A position 37R1i (inner line at left only) on a Hackettstown New Jersey cover:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A friend long ago, used to keep a census of large multiple-rate 3c uses.

tx, that would've been really interesting.

I did a quick search of the Chronicle but didn't see anything related to the topic of multiple-rate usages.
Edited by stampcrow - 10/22/2020 6:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
666 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Better late than never! 90L1L with 3 bar NY CDS.

Classic Coins, what a great strip of three cover!

Edited by Moyock13 - 10/24/2020 09:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Moyock13.

Your 90L1L is very attractive, with a high-quality impression for plate 1L, wide margins, and a neat, mostly face-free cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ugly cover alert!

The last known use of the small Boston PAID killer is January 15 1852. Other than experimental orange browns, the small Boston paid killer seems to be scarce on #11A.

Here's a December 24, 1851 usage. I'd like to see other non-OB/Exp OB examples with the small Boston PAID if anyone can show them.

Edited by Classic Coins - 10/24/2020 2:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2241 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.rfrajola.com/PDR2020/MS2/MS2.htm

Mark Schwartz's exhibit is a good Boston reference.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, Thanks for the link to the Boston PAID exhibit. It moves the latest known use of the small Boston PAID up by eight days to Jan 23 1852, which is news to me!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this in a Scott International:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KRelyea - looks to be a Scott #7, Type II and looks a lot like position 99L2.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1366 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   7:32 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks I kind of like it, occasionally I find a nice stamp when I buy the Scott Collections to sell on eBay.

My US collection now numbers 5 stamps!!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1711 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KRelyea, Your #7 has a U.S. MAIL CITY DELIVERY cancel, as shown in the first post in this thread. Nice stamp!
Page: of 90 Previous TopicReplies: 1,341 / Views: 43,956Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05