Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,345 / Views: 44,518Next Topic
Page: of 90
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 10/29/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gary, yes that makes sense both visually and in context.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This sound, four-margin #10A, position 54L0, was a nice find in a bulk lot of 64 3-cent imperforates I acquired a few years ago:

Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 10/30/2020   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Classic Coins --

Nice 54L0 -- and always nice to find an orange brown in a group of dull reds !!

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
723 Posts
Posted 10/31/2020   3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Follow-up to my post of 10/16/20 - here is a scan of the back of the stamp I believe to be an 89R4 type 1c.

and another scan of the front

Both were done with my Canon scanner as my V600 keeps giving me an error message.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11A sheet margin position 60L3 tied by a bright red Oct 18 Lancaster PA CDS on a cover to Philadelphia:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
879 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great stamp, cancel and cover CC! I envy your collection!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/01/2020   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Laurie. You've shown some excellent items too!
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never looked for an answer to this, except for now, but I have wondered it for a while. Lancaster is one of those green-cancel towns, and the green cds looks similar, of not the same, to the red cds that CC is showing on his cover. What is the significance of the colors? Is this significance unique to Lancaster? Or did they simply use whatever was handy? Or did they run out of red, and have green, at some point?

Nice stamp on a neat cover, CC!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, mootermutt.

Those are very interesting questions. I wonder if there was a quick transition of cancel color, like there was with the Philadelphia blue-to-black cancels.

Here's a re-post of an olive green or light green Lancaster cancel, just to get them both on the same page. The position is 100R3, with a fingerprint at the bottom from handling the sheet by the corner at the printer.

This stamp was previously posted on page 25 of this thread with two other shades of green cancels for color comparison (link below):

http://goscf.com/t/72775&whichpage=25#649122

(edited to remove "Pennsylvania")
Edited by Classic Coins - 11/02/2020 3:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed, the letters of the green Lancaster cancel are smaller and farther separated from the rim than the letters of the red cancel. The feet of the letter A are much closer in the green cancel than in the red cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I searched some auctions sites today and found that both red and green cancel colors were used in Lancaster PA in 1851, and green was also used in Lancaster PA in 1854.

There are currently three #11A covers with green Lancaster PA cancels listed in the postal history category on eBay, and all of them appear to have the olive shade like on the 100R3 I showed above. From this, I am confident that this cancel is from Pennsylvania.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...r&_sacat=689
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2252 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
caper - your 1c stamp is 89R4, Ty Ic.

The plating mark from 90R4 with the vertical scratch by ornament F+G id's it.

Of course the stamp's value as a type is minimal, since it doesn't show all of the Type characteristics.
Edited by txstamp - 11/02/2020 6:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2252 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...and on the 89R4, I should add that I didn't sit down to study what is visible on the stamp to see that it qualifies as a Ic, but for now just blindly took Neinken's word for it, since the position is not listed as a swing position.

Anyway, refer to my last post about the type characteristics.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an 11A from position 32R2L on a 25 Oct 1852 cover with a blue Lancaster Pennsylvania cancel passed to me by a friend:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1715 Posts
Posted 11/02/2020   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On a related note, here is a #11A (63R3) on cover with a black Lancaster Massachusetts CDS:

Edited by Classic Coins - 11/02/2020 10:17 pm
Page: of 90 Replies: 1,345 / Views: 44,518Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05