Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,413 / Views: 50,804Next Topic
Page: of 95
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
896 Posts
Posted 11/09/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CC nice stamps!
Do you think you could plate my #7?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
Posted 11/09/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Laurie. Thank you.

The image of your stamp is a little blurry. I don't think I could plate it without a clearer image.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
896 Posts
Posted 11/09/2020   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ill try for a better picture CC and thank you
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
896 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   12:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lets try this one CC!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The level of (lack of) detail in that scan is really rough to work with for plating. No worries - my scanner is no better, though, sadly.

Anyway, since there's scant detail to see, the one major thing that pops out to me is the spacing to the stamp at left. It yells out to me that its very possibly the 4-5R column spacing on plate 1L. That is a well-known narrow column.

I would start my elimination effort on this stamp with 95R1L, and I'm thinking you might finish there as well - meaning that may well be it. That position is Ty IV, by the way, with a small recut at top, which you probably wouldn't be able to see anyway on your stamp. Good chance its that one, but a hi-res scan could probably confirm or disprove.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CC - your Baltimore covers are nice.

I can definitely say that Baltimore was used to using two different colors - one for CDS and another for killer.

Maybe not as much in the 1851 era as prior, but your cover is 1851 - early in the era.

For reference to what I'm talking about, refer to a cover I just posted from 1850, from Baltimore, and note the differing colors, only about a year and a half earlier. The "R" was applied in Philadelphia on arrival, and not in Baltimore.

https://www.philamercury.com/covers.php?id=28898
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the clearer image of your 1-cent stamp, Laurie. I was unable to find any distinct plating marks. I initially thought 93R1L might be a candidate. Direct examination under high magnification might be needed to confirm the position.

Thanks for your input, txstamp. Your experience with the 1-cent issue exceeds mine by far.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, Thanks for your comments on the Baltimore covers.

Thanks also for the link to your interesting 1850 cover. I reviewed James Milgram's fascinating article in Chronicle 249 titled Unofficially Registered Covers Franked with 1847 Stamps that you referenced in your post on the Frajola site. I also found it interesting that the color of the Baltimore hand stamp on your cover matches the color of the "R" stamp applied in Philadelphia.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CC - I'm glad you enjoyed the article and cover.

I had wanted one of those early Philadelphia Registered covers for decades. Last year, I finally decided it was time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6172 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie 02, if you crop the black area around the stamp to the edge of the stamp and even crop the lower portion below the ornaments it should provide the detail necessary for plating. Also, do you upload to the site or through a 3rd party hosting?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
896 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stallzer, I just go through the site for uploading
I'll try to crop closer.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2293 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Laurie_02 : Your 1c stamp is 95R1L, Ty IV, #9.

http://goscf.com/t/57739&whichpage=28#667607
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, txstamp!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
896 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks txstamp and CC
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1760 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Laurie, but txstamp solved this really tough one.
Page: of 95 Previous TopicReplies: 1,413 / Views: 50,804Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 32.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05