Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,337 / Views: 43,601Next Topic
Page: of 90
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11A (unplated) on a Dec 16, 1853 folded letter from Providence, Rhode Island. The contents are a nicely-printed notice of dissolution of the business partnership of Burroughs & Lewis on December 8, 1853.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic - I respectfully tender you my opinion...32L3.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper, Thank you for taking the time to plate the stamp on the Providence cover! I fully agree with 32L3!

I've generally neglected plating the stamps in my cover collection, although in the process of preparing cover images for posting in this thread, I have plated several of them.

I didn't take the time to plate this stamp before posting, but when I reviewed it after you plated it, I saw for the first time that it has recut variety #24 Left inner line runs down too far. In fact, the LIL runs well into the lower left triangle, and I don't recall seeing a left inner line run down that far before. Very interesting, I think!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/15/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Following up on the 32L3 left inner line runs down too far (variety #24) example above, here is a left inner line runs up too far variety (#23); position 12L3.

At this position, the left inner line goes as far as the top of the UL triangle, but runs left of the triangle, not into it, as the left side of the triangle is aligned with the left side of the diamond block. 12L3 is not attributed with having any lines recut in the UL triangle:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#10A position 37L2e on a Sep 24 1851 folded letter from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia PA. The letter is a bill for $100.70 (for what, I'm not sure):

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/21/2020   4:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11A printed in the 1857 medium claret colour with a well-placed blue Fishers Ville New Hampshire CDS:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That 37L2E is a gorgeous stamp Classic!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Caper!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/22/2020   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just plated this damaged 29L2L that I acquired in a bulk lot three years ago. While confirming it against images in the Stamp Smarter 3-cent plating database, I saw a note for the position stating that it had a dot under the button (presumably from plate damage). This position in the early state doesn't show the dot.

Dr. Chase didn't mention the flaw in his book.

I didn't know about this flaw before today. While plating it I had thoughts about selling it, but now I think I'll hang on to it for a while.

Thanks to whoever added the note about the flaw in the Stamp Smarter database.

Edited by Classic Coins - 11/22/2020 10:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 11/23/2020   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks to whoever added the note about the flaw in the Stamp Smarter database.

Gary, my initial reaction was to say "your welcome"... but I got all my data from the USPCS charts and Chase's book, so I think someone else may have added that excellent little tidbit.

Ttreen or txstamp perhaps.?
Edited by stampcrow - 11/23/2020 8:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorting through unplated 3-cent 1851 imperforates today and stumbled upon this interesting piece of "off cover" postal history -- a Scott #11A (unplated) cancelled with an enclosed arc British North America exchange office marking (U. STATES with an integral shield). Tracing is from Simpsons U.S. Postal Markings 1851 1857, Second Edition, by Thomas J. Alexander -- reference tracing #23 on page 317 -- attributed to the exchange office in Rouse's Pt., NY. Simpsons rarity factor is 6.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1706 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, That's a really interesting marking! I've never seen a U. STATES marking on a 3-cent imperforate before, and I never even knew there was one with an integral shield. Thanks for showing it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2715 Posts
Posted 11/24/2020   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised that doesn't have a higher rarity number. That's a nice one.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted Yesterday   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ioagoa - what was above that stamp?
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Caper

My Scott #11A with the enclosed arc BNA exchange office cancel is an "off cover" stamp. After I matched it to the tracing in Simpson's, I made a copy of the Simpson's page with the tracing and laid the stamp on top to make the scan. A small portion of the tracing above shows in the scan. See Simpsons U.S. Postal Markings 1851 1857, Second Edition, by Thomas J. Alexander -- reference tracing #23 on page 317 and you will see that tracing #19 is directly above tracing #23. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

Regards // ioagoa
Page: of 90 Previous TopicReplies: 1,337 / Views: 43,601Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05