Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,436 / Views: 54,423Next Topic
Page: of 96
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1774 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, Moyock13, especially about the town name. I think you're right about the town being St. Francisville, LA! It's good to be able to enter the town in my stamp database.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
753 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic, it almost appears that the LR diamond block it doubled. It's not totally clear as the cancellation blocks some of it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1774 Posts
Posted 12/08/2020   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting observation, Caper. I think I see the same feature on the Chase print. I'll have another look at the DSLR photo tomorrow.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1774 Posts
Posted 12/09/2020   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper, The uploaded images of stamps from position 66R2L don't show the possible doubling of the LR diamond block well due to cancel or print quality issues, but the position on the Chase print shows that some part of the design is doubled to the right of the LRDB. Here is the corner of 66R2L from the Chase print, and from my DSLR camera image, showing the consistency of the feature:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
753 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic - interesting to compare a 66R2E with your 66R2L. Lower right corner is somewhat similar, the connection between the top label and diamond block is more intense, but on mine the bottom line, (fairly close cut) does not appear doubled at all. (colors have been enhanced a bit for clarity)

Edited by Caper123 - 12/10/2020 8:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1774 Posts
Posted 12/10/2020   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper,

Thanks for posting those great closeup images of your 66R2e!

Seeing your images of the early state makes me wonder whether the feature to the right of the the LR diamond block resulted from a double transfer at all. The double transfer on the early state looks very minor to me, with a dot of color in the left of the E of CENTS being the most distinguishing feature.

There also appears to be a couple of things going on around the LL diamond block on 66R2e. There is a tiny vertical line between the LLDB and label block. Also, there appears to be a defect in the white space of the LL diamond. Below is a portion of a 66R2e image from the Stamp Smarter plating database. These features also show on the stampplating.com images.

Regarding this position, Chase wrote; 66R2 (e) showed a slight shift, whereas 66R2 ( L ) showed a different and very marked shift, and is, the well known variety in which the "C" of " CENTS" is so deformed that it makes a very good "G", thus the " THREE GENTS".

Pillar Of The Community
United States
753 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic - for your benefit, and anyone else following this thread, here's the full scan of my 66R2E, color unedited (it's on cover and was certed by Amonette 7/99. It was dubbed "med-deep orange brown").

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2316 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good discussion on 66R2*.

I concur with what has been said so far.

I will say that sometimes it is difficult to determine if something resulted from a subsequent entry of the transfer roll, versus some sort of other plate damage.

In this case, with the proximity to the right outer line, the possibility of a slip of the recutting tool on 2E seems certainly a possibility here. Its hard to be sure. It is definitely a curious 'blob'.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2726 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe there's a plate 2i
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2316 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well the mark is on the early and late state, so that makes it clear that it had nothing to do with the big re-entry double transfer on the late state. It already existed on the early state.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
753 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe one of you can tell me why the UL triangle recuts look fresher on the early state of the plate vs the late. In my limited knowledge of the process it seems it should be just the opposite, that the recuts would have been made as the plate wore. But, I'm sure some one will educate me. Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2726 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops tx I miss-followed the discussion here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2316 Posts
Posted 12/11/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Caper - Re-entry can have an ironing-out effect.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that I plated as 88L3. It is interesting because of the doubled right frame line. The stamp must be an early impression being so sharp. It is an excellent copy. I think the postmark may be Lancaster, PA.

Edited by jaxom100 - 12/12/2020 3:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2316 Posts
Posted 12/12/2020   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is certainly a nice 3-rows example.

Glad to see you working with 3c stamps as well.
I referred to your 5c 47 page the other day.

edit: I agree that Lancaster is a possibility
Edited by txstamp - 12/12/2020 4:24 pm
Page: of 96 Previous TopicReplies: 1,436 / Views: 54,423Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 28.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05