Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 1,442 / Views: 55,287Next Topic
Page: of 97
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2410 Posts
Posted 01/17/2021   6:51 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say for sure but a legible town cancel was a necessary part of showing that all of the postage was paid.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
151 Posts
Posted 01/23/2021   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of stamps for the thread. They have been plated and the color is described.

The second stamp with the blue CDS has a fingerprint on the left margin which appears to have been left by the operator who picked it up while moving sheets. I think the guy who was removing printed sheets from the press put his finger on a rosette with wet ink, then touched the margin of the sheet with the same finger and left the fingerprint. Having the two stamps side by side makes it easier to see the subtle difference in their respective shades.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2726 Posts
Posted 01/24/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipshot, that plate 6 stamp is great!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
151 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am posting images of position 45R5L using the Chase book list of rusty positions. The rust spots resulted from plate 5 getting rusty while it was in storage for three and a half years.

The closeup image shows a comparison with the 45R5L image from the Chase print. Had some trouble getting the entire stamp image with the size restrictions. But this shows what the rust on the plate did to the finished product.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2327 Posts
Posted 01/29/2021   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice scans. Plate 5L is pretty interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
955 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that I have been trying to plate. I think it is 96R3. Included are the compressed image and the 4 corners. The upper right diamond block appears to be recut at top and partially down the right side. The triangles and the rosette positioning appears to match.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1776 Posts
Posted 01/31/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, jaxom100. I agree that your stamp is 96R3, and I can see what you mean about the upper-right diamond block. Maybe a clearer printing would help confirm the possible vertical recut.

Here's another 96R3 (1200 DPI), but not a clear printing.

Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 02/12/2021   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All --

This thread has been idle far too long now -- and needs a boost. Thought I'd show a July 8, 1851 (i.e., an "8th day of use") folded letter sheet that I snagged on eBay a few weeks ago for the ridiculously low price of $31.

Stamp is a Scott #10A -- position 84L1E -- with a 13 bar NY square grid killer (reference: Skinner / Eno # SD-G93).

The body of the inside of the FLS is a very simple receipt for a $123.27 payment made by a person in Albany (last name Townsend) to a firm by the name of Sanderson Bros. & Co. in NYC.

Most interesting are the handwritten notations on the back of the FLS -- made some time before the Scott catalogue number changed from #33 to #10 (and then in 2008 changed again from #10 to #10A). There are two distinctive notations -- as follows:

-- one which is very short and says "Early orange-brown color per Ashbrook 11-57". I know I have seen this distinctive handwriting a few times in the past, but have no idea whose it is?

-- the other annotation is quite lengthy -- and written in an almost "calligraphic" style -- (see the image posted below). There is also a notation in the same hand at the extreme lower left corner of the back of the FLS with what looks like some initials and a date of "Jan '28" -- not sure what it means -- but perhaps an owners mark or cost code and the date acquired? Likewise, I have no idea why the same collector made a reference to "?_gd_?, Troy, NY" (maybe the name of a dealer or auction house from which the FLS was acquired?)

In any event, if anybody out there recognizes any of the handwriting on the back of this FLS, I would be interested in knowing more.

Regards // ioagoa

Edited by ioagoa - 02/12/2021 8:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2327 Posts
Posted 02/13/2021   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. I really like those first month covers.

I'm not sure whose writing that is.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
424 Posts
Posted 02/13/2021   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To help with the bump, here is a #7, type II.
position 31L2
ex Ashbrook

Stampsmarter's guidance on this is very helpful to better understanding this plating, the selvage (which drew me to this one) makes this pretty straightforward even for someone like me who is not a veteran plater.

Now back to quietly wrapping my Valentines' present for my wife.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2327 Posts
Posted 02/13/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow what a great imprint copy.

That is a curious rouletting in the left margin.
Someone debated removing the selvedge but didn't.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1776 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Nice pickup regarding the FLS with the 84L1E tied by a 13 bar NY square grid killer. That's a really neat cancel to have on an 1851-57 cover. Thanks for showing it!

So far, I don't recognize the handwriting on the back of your FLS, but I agree that the annotations add a lot of interest from a postal history perspective.

Here are two plate 1 #10A from my collection with the square grid cancel. The second one has the scarce bright orange brown color with some interesting annotations on the back. I think the "bright OB" and "9L1e" annotations could be Cabeen's, but I have no idea about the annotation in the middle.

63L1i - Orange brown

9L1e - Bright orange brown

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
424 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, txstmp.
I am increasingly fond of imprints and plate numbers in selvedge.

There is a light score running vertically at the left margin as you observed. It shows up in this scan and under magnification with indirect light, but is so slight it is not visible under most conditions. Although it appears continuous at the bottom of the stamp, it doesn't seem to continue all the way up. It also is not a deep score, more a scratch, and it does not seem to me to be the product of being folded.

So I, too, had hypothesized that there was some thought, at some point in the history of this stamp, to slice off the selvedge. But not with scissors....

I'm glad that person did not carry through on his or her thought.
It is nice (I think) to have a good bit of the name of the printing firm displayed on the page with their stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
597 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jleb - nice, WIDE margin!
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Classic Coins --

Those NY square grid cancel stamps are very nice examples.

Regarding the annotations on the back of the 9L1E -- I do not recognize any of the handwriting -- although I can tell you that the plate mark itself is not Cabeen's -- as he had a very distinctive style of handwriting (as per the reference scan below).

Again -- nice stamps and nice cancels - I especially like the color on that bright OB that is very striking.

Regards // ioagoa

Page: of 97 Replies: 1,442 / Views: 55,287Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05