Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,484 / Views: 59,249Next Topic
Page: of 99
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks Type II to me.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1464 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. The guide dot at UL is a giveaway.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/14/2021   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This dog of an 11A (93L1L) is another plate-wiped-too-clean printing variety. The significant inking change at Washington's nose level makes this a striking example, as the top of the stamp is somewhat over-inked.

The significant under-inking at the bottom of the stamp helped reveal the radial gouges coming from the bottom of the C in the bottom label block that were cut into the master die.

Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a cool example. Love the detail of marks from the burin. I'm a complete newbie to plating and have dug in to try my hand. I think this is 88L1L (with hinge remnant shadow, odd how the scanner picked that up, it's unused) and 63L7. Both #11s.( I also plated maybe? 98R1e -#10a but no pics in this post) The first one was difficult b/c the engraver did such a good job making the right frame line so straight it was difficult to find a match using the compression method I picked up from Classic Coins. But I think I got it? 63L7 was easier as there is the LR guide dot. The right frame line also was more quirky. I've included the compression comparison at the bottom.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Phillystamper,

Welcome to the thread!

The unused stamp (10A or 11A) is similar to 88L1L, but it isn't a match. Your stamp has one line recut at the top of the upper-right diamond block, but plate 1L features gouged-out UR diamond blocks, that typically result in heavy inking, as shown here:

Give this one another try. The line at the top of the UR diamond block will help you narrow down the plates, at least, with the use of the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society plating page I linked in the other thread.

As an experienced plater, the reference I probably use the most is the set of Smithsonian photographs of Carroll Chase's complete plating of the 3-cent imperforate issue. Each of the 26 photos shows a reconstructed sheet of 100 stamps. I find these photos the quickest way to search for matching guide dots, among other things. I also compressed each "sheet" image to 10 percent vertically for use in matching frame line curves with compressed stamp scans.

If you haven't already gotten the photos, they are available for free zip download at the site below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/natio...78765445003/

Another source for plating reference images is the Stamp Smarter plating database:

https://stampsmarter.org/features/S..._Plates.html

Gary
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correction: Regarding the line recut at the top of the upper-right diamond block, the USPCS basic plate identification guide ("Plates") page will help narrow down the plates with this feature:

https://www.uspcs.org/stamps-covers...2%a2-plates/
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Classic Coins, I'll take another stab at it. These resources look very useful. The chase photos especially.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Phillystamper, Could your unused stamp be orange brown?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ya got me? if I scan it next to one of the other 3 centers could you tell. BTW I'm stumped. So far i've got relief C, #39(connected to the stamp below it in LR corner), the recut in the UR diamond block.I don't see any guide dots. Am I missing something?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be better to scan it next to your 30R0 #10A.

A C-relief would have a gash on the shoulder. It looks like an A-relief to me, so it wouldn't have a guide dot at the bottom.

Take a look at the Chase image for 80L0. I don't think this is a #39 variety, but I see similar specks of ink below the LR corner of 80L0 on the Chase image. The rest of the features look good for 80L0 too, including the left inner line, which fades out adjacent to Washington's nose.

This stamp looks like it could be slightly oxidized (darkened by exposure to the elements). The lower label block looks lighter than the background above Washington's head.

The ink texture looks typical for orange brown.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo. Yes, the lower block is lighter. Think it would be okay to soak in a very very dilute peroxide solution? It doesn't have gum. or is this ink too fragile?

Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's 30r0 next to 80L0.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also notice how the lightly-recut line in the ULT lines up with the left inner line. When comparing compressed images of stamps with recut triangles, the alignment can vary a lot from position to position.

It's safe to soak it in full-strength 3 percent household peroxide. Twenty minutes or so is what I'd recommend. I've done this hundreds of times. Just be sure to soak it in distilled water for about the same amount of time afterward before pressing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1815 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, that 80L0 sure is a lot darker. OBs normally don't darken much, but maybe it was a deeper shade to begin with.

That side-by-side is a nice scan! Do you use an Epson scanner?
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
Posted 03/18/2021   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Phillystamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give it a shot with peroxide then. Should come up a pretty stamp when done. I use an Epson WorkForce 2540 printer scanner combo. I use Apple's Image Capture with it.
Page: of 99 Previous TopicReplies: 1,484 / Views: 59,249Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.7 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05