Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identification Of Regummed Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 859Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
146 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm trying to learn more about regummed stamps here.
This stamp referred to as MNH but it looked like it was hinged to me.
When I looked closer it looked like it was regummed in the area of where a hinge remnant would be.
Now I think the whole stamp may have been regummed, the small fibres where they've been separated seem covered in glue and they're not whiter at the tips as most.
It's a low value stamp so I don't see why anyone would play with it.
Can someone more experienced explain what they see?
Appreciate any and all Opinions and help here.

Cheers, Bill

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
420 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Likely your stamp was not regummed, it appears to have been stored in one of those old photo albums with the striped adhesive backing. The gum has softened at some point, due to humidity, and migrated. As disturbed gum, it would be valued the same as though it had no gum at all.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I would say that it is the same value as no gum at all - I don't believe there is a unanimous consensus on that across the hobby and so I would caution against a blanket valuation of that aspect. There are different states of disturbed gum - even just looking at how expertizing services differentiate provides much variation. At the end of the day, it's value is what the next buyer decides or how the owner views it.

I have an extensive unused Canada collection and consider MNH with some disturbance good enough for me when purchasing to keep in my MNH pile. I certainly wouldn't put one with no gum in those spots. Again, it really depends on the amount and extent of disturbance, what kind of disturbance, etc.

Edit: corrected expertizing as it had auto corrected to "expert goes"
Edited by stamps101 - 05/16/2020 6:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 05/16/2020   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill

archerg,,,Has a good point,

Below is a manipulated image to see the glue like archerg said.

Now regummed possibility is a maybe...I have {with an expert} at the stamp club, had a person pass us an original gummed stamp..We told him it was re-gummed..He got mad and walked away.

Having said that look at the picture below...The black arrows show regular oxidization, etc that would be expected in the perfs...If YOUR stamp has the same colour as the blue arrow shows dripping into the perfs and are the same colour as the back of the stamp, then 99% it has been regummed...Just my opinion.

Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess another way to determine if it is a regum, is to compare the colours/texture/shine of the gum compared to another mint copy.

You might be able to see some brush strokes where they might have used the brush to smooth out the gum. But for some of the spray gum solutions that's a tough call. But a spray gum solution would be very difficult to match the color.

Hounddog, they might have been using the lower denomination values for testing their gum solutions.

Trodent
Pillar Of The Community
7468 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
they might have been using the lower denomination values for testing their gum solutions.

Trodent makes a good point.
There is a place within a half hour drive from me that restores stamps back to their original state as close as possible.

This gentleman does it for stamp collectors, NOT to fool buyers, but to have a finished product for stamp collectors..See business card below...Go to the website to see his work.

Robert

http://home.golden.net/~hanssitt/SR...SRShome.html
Edited by wert - 05/17/2020 10:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5667 Posts
Posted 05/17/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the cv of the stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are so many dishonest people out there. Its ruined the hobby.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Canada
146 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for your insight. much appreciated.
I've just started collecting stamps and have just six left to get then I'll have from 141-638, coils are in pairs.
I'm going to skip the Admiral lathework for now
I ask this question because the value now is becoming more expensive, especially for the MNH stamps.
I don't want to be buying regummed stamps.
The stamp in the OP is a #165 so of minimal value.
I first thought the glue looked normal except for the top portion then I noticed the perf's didn't seem to have any whiteness on the tips from where they were separated.
The stamps not mine so I can't supply any more info other then what's in the photo.
Sorry, It's probably nothing it's just I've never seen a regummed stamp in hand.

Cheers, Bill

Pillar Of The Community
3394 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on the stamp issue since gum can differ between them. This stamp appears to be wet printed on first observation since I cannot see an embossing/debossing on its back gum side due to dry printing pressure. Also, the vertical gum steaks indicates a stamp from a BABN Stickney rotary press from 1930 to 1933 from either the Arch or Medallion stamp issue. The gum for some of these issues especially the low denominated values looks like this. Also, horizontal gum breaker lines can also be seen which are found on these stamps.
Edited by jogil - 05/18/2020 11:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To add to jogil, I have found many of the 192/197 have gum similar - even on "used" stamps.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
Posted 12/20/2020   11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone figured out how to determined Regummed Stamps on the Newfoundland Imperfs. Scott 37 to 40.

and if you had a VF regummed, what would be the formula for cataloging value of it. Would you just call it a VF used copy?

If it is regummed, would you call it damaged and use it as a space filler?

Your thoughts. (that includes you J.W.)

Trodent
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 859Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05