Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Piece De Resistance On Steiner Pages .

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 203 / Views: 13,074Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ken ----My albums all have stuff mounted with that overlap ,some are color ,some are perf differences and if the catalog has type differences .The perfs and types will have something written next to it ,but color I leave that to sight only.

The problem with color is not knowing if it is a true color due to different printings or a chemical changling ,without some 150 different specialized stamp Catalogs ,I just mount all of them and let someone else figure it out when I am gone .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dan , I have many full pages but a lot more ,maybe 20 times more with only a few stamps on a page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
1014 Posts
Posted 07/20/2021   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do something similar with shade/color differences, but I write "shade" or "color" very small (in pencil) just below the stamp so it's visible. That way, even I can remember what that extra stamp is doing there.

Mine rarely go in the margins as I think this makes an album look really sloppy really fast. More often, I put them in a blank space often at the bottom of the page. Occasionally, I've added an entire blank page for color/shade differences. I use International albums for the bulk of my world collection, and those albums are pretty limited in that regard unlike European albums which often include multiple spaces for varieties of the same stamp including colors.

I don't put ordinary duplicates on my album pages, and I would never put second copies beneath stamps in the way a lot of collectors used to do and maybe still do. It creates a mess and it bulks up the pages a lot, making them heavier and unwieldy. And you can't even see those stamps, so what is the point? I just think you have to decide which copy you prefer and consign any others to a stock book, a glassine, or another album. Most of my collections are either on Scott Specialty pages or, when those are not available, on home-made pages I've printed on Scott Specialty blank page and put into Scott binders. So they "look like" Scott Specialty pages. All the duplicates and others go into my Scott International albums -- which solves a lot of my "what to do with duplicates" problem. Duplicates beyond that, the ones that are't shade or other varieties, I'd just give away -- someday -- to keep the clutter under control. Either that or drown in my stamps weeks before my wife can find me. Now there's a thought.
Edited by DrewM - 07/20/2021 7:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew -- Congratulations on your 1,000 posting .

Each collectors has their own method of keeping their collection which works for them . I don't put duplicates in my albums ,I just keep a second set of albums . As you do ,I do the same with small penciled notes .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
621 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just redo the page when I run into something I want to add, such as a shade variety. Here's an example from my Sweden collection, the Carmine shade at the top isn't called out in Scott (it is in Facit), though the pink and rose are:

***Image Removed, website with this image is blacklisted by McAfee - Don***
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/22/2021   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bill ---Nice page ,agree with the way you put that page . There is a important point you bring up when you collect beyond what your catalog says . I guess the correct answer is write it up and mount it in your album and come back to it at a later date when your research or other catalogs become available.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
694 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I avoid a lot of problems by using quality stock books rather than printed albums. I can then keep as many color varieties as I like, arranged however I like. Also perf varieties, used and unused copies, interesting cancellations, etc. Always plenty of room.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Emaxim ---- Nice way to keep your collection . If I started as a adult I would of went with the stockbooks . Since from a early age I started with standard albums ,I got set in my ways with album pages .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
694 Posts
Posted 07/26/2021   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's true that once you invest in printed albums it wouldn't make much sense to change, not for a collection so large. And in any case, yours on Steiner pages are some of the nicest I've seen to date. Keep posting images of them, Floortrader; they're an inspiration to the rest of us.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   09:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
468 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader…

Nice set. Some new and different. Thx for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
706 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set of Reich/Bavarian stamps Floortrader.

These are nice and big and can carry complete postmarks.(Beware of CTO).

Is this Used and unused on 1 page or type I and II?(R with and without dent)
Edited by Johan Buvelot - 07/28/2021 4:38 pm
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 203 / Views: 13,074Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05