Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Polish Issue Of 1919 Overprinted In German

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
739 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my day for finding unknown stuff. I am assuming that this is a Cinderella as it appears to be an unofficial overprint on a Polish Issue. Is it a Propaganda Issue of some sort or does it fall into a category of revenue issues?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4362 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a propaganda label (NOT a postage stamp) directed at residents of the Upper Silesian region. lt was made during the post-WWI plebiscite era for an area which the victorious European allies wished to extract from Germany.

The label and overprint are of German manufacture. The label tells the Upper Silesian viewer that his/her currency and goods will be worth more if he/she votes for the area to remain German, rather than to become Polish.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by bookbndrbob - 05/19/2020 4:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
739 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great info.Thank you. I find these propaganda issues totally fascinating. At least I know that the stamp belongs with Upper Silesia in my collection.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29753 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 05/19/2020 8:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
739 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting clipping there. I had wondered about whether or not the entire stamp was a fake but did not think to ask in the original question.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05