Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A "New" Typeset Official Seal Discovery

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 675Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently bought the typeset official seal that is shown below.

This particular type has not previously been seen before, and it is currently "unlisted" in the Scott Specialized catalog.

As you can see, it is clearly used, with a number of pieces of stamp selvage on the back, which are holding the severe fold together.

The condition of the seal tends to prove that it is genuine, as most seals were actually used (but not necessarily saved).

It is imperforate on rose-tinted paper.

This just goes to show, that even with obscure, century+ old stamps and seals, that "new" discoveries can continue to be made.

It is difficult to place a catalog value on something that is, in all likelihood, unique. Like so many other typeset official seals, it will probably get a "dash" for a value, and stay that way until it is sold (probably in an auction by my heirs one day.)

Jim

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
398 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,

Congrats on yet another great discovery!

I am saving seals in a shoebox for the day I start to pay attention to them. No idea why they appeal to me

Keep up the searching!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 05/20/2020   01:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 05/20/2020   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few others of similar ilk, here...
http://wyzaerd-pf-prod.s3.amazonaws...-POSeals.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 05/20/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice discovery Jim.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1002 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! Imagine the shame of having to sign your name on this and affix it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
382 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The following might be of interest regarding one source of these official seal labels. The following page crop is from the:

Catlogue and Price List / POST OFFICE PRINTED SUPPLIES / Morrill Brothers / Fulton, N. Y. / 1896 edition

The image looks very close to the one illustrated by Jim in the original post and Figure 8 in the later post. I assume there were several vendors who offered similar items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, as long as there is apparently some interest in this area here, it should be stated that it is not all that difficult to produce authentic-appearing typeset official seals.

As Jim Kotanchik commented in his book, "As part of the research for this chapter, the author spent two days as an 'apprentice' in a print shop... This shop has over 600 different typefaces, including most of those used for the seals described in this chapter..."

Many years ago, so the story goes (according to my fading memory), an experiment was made to create a typeset official seal. I am not sure of the source of this experiment. The result of this experiment is shown below.

The city name was intentionally set to be a) a real city (Google it) and b) a somewhat silly-sounding place to have needed official seals.

Actual typeset (or letterpress) forms were used to hold movable type and rules (or lines). The four forms were set in the similar tete-beche format that other, similar seals were set in. The paper and ink came from 19th century sources. They were entirely designed to appear to be "real."

The light brown "tone spots" were applied (as I recall) by flicking diluted regular tea on them with a small paint brush.

The panes, on various colors of paper and in imperforate and roulette settings, were not mass produced or advertised anywhere, and they were only available for a very limited time. They were not that expensive, and it was "understood" that they were not real, though there is nothing on them to indicate as such. I personally have not seen them offered for sale on any venue for over a decade.

Just something to be aware of, should one encounter an "unlisted" typeset official seal in the future.

As I stated above, the fact that a seal is found in what appears to be a damaged, used condition, with a cancel (even partial), considerably helps to authenticate it as being genuine.

Plus, like with many other obscure areas of stamp collecting, one develops a "feel" for these things over time, and sometimes the fakes are more apparent than the genuine (and vice-versa). This is similar to the several revenue collectors here that can "sniff" out a fake imperf. revenue stamp from a genuine with just a glance.

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2996 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Gnaw Bone seals were made by the late Dave Churchman. While the village exists, it never had a post office, thus easily debunkable as fake. I received some directly from him.

This would be a good example where a note in the Scott catalog: "Seals from Gnaw Bone, Ind. are recent spoofs" or something to that effect would be useful info for collectors.

Dave Churchman also made this spoof, another village which never had a post office:

Edited by John Becker - 05/23/2020 8:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The seal shown at the beginning of this post is now listed in Scott.

How cool is that?

Jim

Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 10/20/2020   1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim:
I'm glad to see that the seal you bought from me is now listed in the Scott catalog. Great job ! Just for information sake I found it in a lot of odds and ends that I bought from Dutch Country. The rest of the stuff was just routine $5-$10 items. You never know what is still lurking out there waiting to be uncovered in old albums.
Mike
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 675Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05