Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half Panes Desirable?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 9 / Views: 301Next Topic  
Valued Member

180 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are sealed or unsealed half panes (usually 10ct) of modern issues less desirable or collectible,, than full panes or blocks of 4?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pnjstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think in most cases, people either collect full panes, Plate Blocks, Blocks of 4, or single stamps. I'm not aware of anyone collecting half panes - but this is stamp collecting and your collection is defined by your preferences and interests.

Regards,

Joe
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2736 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   05:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For US stamps, who is selling half panes sealed? These would have to be removed from packaging if purchased from SFS and then half pane removed. I wonder how many collect corner blocks. Years ago when sheets had 50 stamps, margin blocks were collected especially with multiple plate numbers.

With the commemorative mini-sheets now, it would be very inconsistent in the multi-design sheets. Most dealers either sell a single or full sheet. The plate number is not that relevant as it used to be.

Al
Edited by angore - 05/22/2020 05:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2185 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" These would have to be removed from packaging if purchased from SFS and then half pane removed."

I seem to recall seeing half panes in SFS packaging.
Valued Member
180 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   03:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an example of a half pane:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-2001-D...047675.l2557
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1132 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually remember buying a couple of these from SFS in KC … commemoratives for which I didn't want to buy a full pane. At the time you could often change the last digits of the item number for a full pane from 04 to 01 or 02 in order to buy less than a full pane … one of these was for a block of 4, the other for a block of 10. I don't recall which number was for which block size. Panes of 16 or fewer stamps were not made available in block format.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
554 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I may be incorrect here but USPS makes a differentiation between PANE & SHEET on the current commemorative issues. They allow a special order of singles, blocks, xx# of most issues (including commemoratives) produced in SHEETS. They do not allow the breaking up of PANES (or coils) in Special Orders for less than the original unit produced. They will charge a Service Fee for the extra effort. I also believe that any issue valued over $1.00 can be purchased as a single w/o a service fee (but that might Have changed). When I order from the Fulfillment Center I purchase the block of 4 most times rather than the full sheet. (I'm stuck with the full pane if that is the issue item)
Valued Member
180 Posts
Posted Today  7 Hrs 37 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So the consensus seems to be that despite their rarity, half panes/sheets are not that collectible/desirable.
Valued Member
126 Posts
Posted Today  7 Hrs 10 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Plate strips of 20" also seem to fall in the same "not all that desirable" category.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2736 Posts
Posted Today  6 Hrs 45 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I have shopped online at SFS, I never noticed them. I get the feeling that USPS has more money in the cardboard stiffener, shrink wrap, and associated labor to package them than they do for the print cost of the stamps.
Al
Edited by angore - Today 6 Hrs 44 Min ago
  Replies: 9 / Views: 301Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.05 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05