Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Used Stamp Condition Preferences Wanted

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 336Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
7 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jim1952 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, 

I am looking for opinions and guidance in resolving a dilemma I have in collecting used stamps...

Let's say that you have three or four different copies of the same used stamp --  which one are YOU putting in your album ?

1 -- you have a beautifully centered stamp (90+) .. but with a heavy cancel ...obliterating the majority of the design - which to me is unacceptable
1A -- still beautifully  centered ...with average cancel ...but with hinge remnants covering up thins that are not visible from the front
2 -- average centering (60-80) ...but with light or very light cancel
3 -- poor centering -- even 1 side perfs into the frame margin ...but with a beautifully centered Socked-On-the-Nose (SON) cancel.

SON is where my heart is on used stamps and what keeps me so interested in collecting Belgian stamps because it's easy to find SON cancels ...but my goal is to find those with the two towns that I lived in in Belgium ...Verviers and Ixelles (a surburb of Bruxelles)

A smaller issue are stamps with a straight edge ...usually sheet stamps as opposed to booklet stamps -- I've never been fond of one straight edge on a stamp and usually pass or replace it with a good copy with perfs all four sides...

A final issue that throws a monkey wrench into things is when you have a less desirable stamp but has great vibrant color for a used stamp as opposed to a faded or toned stamp.

My solution to date has been to replace lesser quality stamps with nicely centered SON cancels which is easy to do with Belgium and Great Britain but much harder to do with US stamps ... as I don't come across that many US stamps with nice SON cancels

While I realize that everybody collects to their own preferences I'm really interested in hearing how others have resolved this issue on collecting used stamps

When I first started collecting as a child in Belgium my local dealer who was German was very fastidious about a stamps condition when adding to your collection ... I was taught at that time that a stamp with missing perfs or tears or Thins was not acceptable and should be thrown away ...unless it had a nice SON cancel which would be a space filler until a sound copy could be obtained...
over the years I have thrown away many $100 plus stamps that were damaged because I didn't feel anyone would have any interest in them
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1964 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
over the years I have thrown away many $100 plus stamps that were damaged

You can use my trash can in the future.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
over the years I have thrown away many $100 plus stamps that were damaged because I didn't feel anyone would have any interest in them

Vandalism.
Acting on poor advice.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2185 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   9:27 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
not 1 - I want to see the design
Valued Member
32 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrentAbba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to put stamp 2 in the album. At least I can see the image and enjoy the stamp.

When I get another copy, I can check which one looks better. That may mean a swap on the page, but I'll have an easy side by side comparison then.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
624 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   12:28 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was strictly a MNH kinda guy up until about 10-years ago when I got hold of one of the old bound Scott Brown Internationals 1840-1900 that was in near-new condition. That album only gets used SON or unusual killer/color cancelled stamps. I restrict myself to VF or better centered, fully sound stamps with clear and fully readable cancels and although at times I have to take a pass on a stamp (nice cancel with poor centering), which can be hard to do, in the long run this method has kept me satisfied with my acquisitions.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2735 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   06:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to see the design.
Al
Valued Member
194 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2 - seeing the design is all important to me. Especially when it comes to stamps >$10. Sometimes I am amazed at some graded stamps that get graded high mostly because of the centering despite heavy cancels. IMO the color and being to see the design details is everything.

Below is a US #72 I like because of light cancel and color. Was't too expensive because of centering but I love it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
536 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start with the last statement by you first: are you collecting for yourself or somebody else? It's only really important that you have an interest in an item for you to add it to your collection. I have many examples of all of the situations you describe and while I am partial to SON myself, the only category you list that I generally would not purchase are those with damage, tears or thins. I have several copies of early Germany and the 1900 German colonies stamps showing the Kaiser's yacht that have maybe 3 overlapping CDS cancels that I find very attractive.
Pillar Of The Community
2154 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go for option 2: average centering (if design doesn't Touch perf. is ok) with a light cancel, preferably on a corner.
But, I must say that, being European, I collect our way. So, I don't share this US centering/grading obsession.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1328 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#1, #2, probably #3 for me. I don't throw away higher priced stamps unless they're "totally gone." 1A depends on the stamp.

There are other factors coming into play with the classic, pre-World War II, Portuguese colonial issues, and perhaps other countries: varieties in color (shades) and also perfs. Not all that common much of the time in US. Don't know Belgium real well, although kept what I had when I down-sized the world wide collection past couple years. While I'm not interested in topical collecting per se, I do like the Belgian parcel post train stamps.

Can be hard to get good, SON, cancels on the Portugal and colonies Ceres issues (1914-roughly 1939) due to the narrowness of the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
888 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My preference would be #2. I want to see the design. However, if it's a scarce stamp, I will accept anything until a better one comes along. (aka space filler)
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
611 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll save number one and number two. And hope that at some point in the future I get a nice copy with a nice cancel to replace them both
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 336Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05