Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Used Stamp Condition Preferences Wanted

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,194Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4831 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with many of the post above ----each collector sets their own standard.

It is also true that you include what you have and always be on the look out for a "better " copy and replace it in your collection .Replacing stamps is a constant battle we all have . It is each collector's decision how "low" his standard is on thins ,defects ,heavy canceled and straight edges .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4765 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a sucker for cancels that tell a different story than usual or indicate unusual usages. Also color cancels on US Classics.
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   08:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning, Jim.

The real answer that counts is yours. As the old saying goes, at best, you can please some of the other people some of the time. What pleases you most if not all of the time?

Collecting for the enjoyment of collecting, whatever that might be, is the name of the game. Don't hesitate to ask questions especially if you need basic information and especially more advanced sources of information for any possible topic. You should be able to find folks on this board a little further along on their collecting journey glad to share experiences.

Russ

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1612 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#2 - I want to see the design.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2930 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note - While he may be lurking, the original poster hasn't logged-in for over two months.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4765 Posts
Posted 08/11/2020   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ruh-Roh
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jimdendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I visit this forum once to twice a week ...and every time I do it tells me that I'm logged on at the top right side... not sure how someone can say I haven't logged on...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2930 Posts
Posted 08/12/2020   07:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Clicking on your username shows dates for "last visit" and "last post". One can view (lurk) without formally logging on.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jimdendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What believe the problem stems from the fact of somehow I have wound up with two usernames ... 1 which I used when posting this question originally ... and the second one when I posted the comment above yesterday and this one today that I seem to use when coming to the site..
Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   07:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since having multiple accounts is against forum rules (https://www.stampcommunity.org/rule...#rulesid22), I locked the Jim1952 account, please continue to use the Jimdendy account.
Don
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a lot also has to do with your area of interest. in the revenue area both centering and condition are often hard to come by. in some sections damage (ie thins tears etc) are the norm and only experience will determine which stamps to obtain when seen and which to wait for a nicer copy.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
257 Posts
Posted 08/13/2020   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As Floortrader quotes every collector has their own standards. I will buy lightly hinged stamps if they show a significant saving over never hinged, in older stamps I am dubious about never hinged examples unless they are very common. I don
't worry about centering unless I have a choice of specimens when it may become a factor. If a stamp was issued off centre then it's a genuine stamp, its not damaged, t's a valid stamp. I have one very rare GB stamp where it is misaligned by half it's width. the right hand side of the stamp is on the left and vice versa. It's actually two half stamps on the same bit of paper, but it was issued and used as such. I might not have bought this stamp except I was never going to afford double the price for a more conventionally centered one. I do drw the line at torn stamps and try to replace creased or soiled stamps because I usually want to see the stamp I try to get specimens with an unobtrusive but visible cancel.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,194Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05