Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reference Book For US Proofs?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 317Next Topic  
Valued Member
216 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canyoneer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good book on US Proofs? I have read through the section on proofs in the Scott US Specialized but it is very general in nature. Looking for something with more detail. Curious how these were sold to the general public, how they were promoted, and collector reception. Also would be interesting to see any documentation on Bureau decisions on when and how to release them.

I am an APS member so perhaps there is one that I could check out from their library. Thanks!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4472 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a treasure trove of info:

https://www.uspcs.org/resource-cent...er-archives/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1011 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim Lee may be the preeminent dealer of essays and proofs and he has a number of books on proofs and essays listed on his website:
http://jameslee.com/books.htm

When you're done on that page, wander around his site for lots of info.
If you're interested in proofs, you should be on the list to receive his newsletter and offers.
Learn More...
8168 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   08:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Card Proofs of the 19th Century" By fellow SCFer Greg Waldecker is here http://stampsmarter.com/proof/cardproofs1.html
"Roosevelt Proofs" By fellow SCfer Richard Segal is here http://www.stampsmarter.com/proof/Home_proofs.html
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2054 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also back issues of the essay-proof journal.

Are those online somewhere?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2784 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your question has a complicated answer.

Proof quantities and distributions differ significantly by era. Many of the early proofs have multiple posthumous reprintings for exhibitions, etc. The USPOD and the Bureau (and prior to that, the Bank note companies) did distributions, depending on the era, issue, etc.

Do you have a specific series/era in mind? As you can see, there is considerable literature available.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
972 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also back issues of the essay-proof journal.

Are those online somewhere?

Yes, on the Newman Numismatic Portal:
https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publi...etail/517957
Valued Member
216 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canyoneer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for some great references! I've been scouring (and devouring this info) over the past couple days. I especially enjoy reading the Brazer Archives.

I basically got into proofs when, because of limited budget, wanted examples of 19th century US classics. Prices of proofs were within range and you get "proof-life" engraving impressions (couldn't resist the pun). I especially like the 153P3 and 76P4's below. I have a 153 used but, as with most real used examples, the purple is washed out and cannon/rifles detail is very faded ... the proof is crystal clear.

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 317Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05