Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Recommendation: Where To Buy Printed Scott Album Pages?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 429Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello my friends,

I've just sent an email to Stamp Album Pages (http://www.albumpages.net/) asking for a quote for all available Scott Specialized pages for a country. Has anyone used this service recently? If yes can you share your experience?

Is there a better option besides Stamp Album Pages? Any other place online where I can go to buy this?

Also, has anyone ever tried getting the PDFs and walking in to Kinko's to get this done? Would they know how to choose the right paper and print everything at Kinko's?

Is it worth trying to go that route or is it too complicated? I would rather have someone with experience do it for me, unless it is really simple to do it a Kinko's or other printing companies.

All the best and stay safe!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4782 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   01:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These don't seem to be Scott album pages, but pages that follow the Scott numbering system, akin - or identical - to those produced by Steiner - functional, but aesthetically unappealing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
753 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   02:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That link is to a website that will print Steiner pages for you. Steiner pages are the pages designed by Bill Steiner for all countries in the world in Scott catalogue order bu without Scott catalogue numbers or images. The stamp boxes are nearly all blank. His pages borders are very simple, one heavy and one light line and nothing more.

Steiner pages are a print-yourself product. You either subscribe to his website for one year or you buy his CD. Each costs $50. Then you print out the pages you need on your home printer. Because home printer paper is easily available, that means that nearly all Steiner pages are printed on fairly small printer paper of 8.5 x 11". Most collectors who use this size paper to make albums put their pages into a standard 3-ring binder. The result, in my opinion, is underwhelming at best, basically a notebook for stamps more than a stamp album. But it is very cheap. A few dollars for a binder, a few dollars for paper, and the cost of the Steiner CD or annual subscription. Besides the low cost, the pages are good looking (though much too small for my taste as stamps need to be laid out with room to breathe) and they've done a lot to keep collectors happy in a world where stamp albums can cost hundreds of dollars. Even a thousand dollars for an album for just one country is not unusual given the number of volumes you often need. So Bill Steiner has done a great service to the hobby.

To deal with the problem of the small pages and the very basic look of 3-ring binders, it is possible to print the Steiner pages on larger album-sized paper like Scott International, Minkus, or Scott Specialty album paper. The page layouts will look identical to the smaller pages but be on the larger sized paper, giving each page a less crowded look. It's been my experience, as well, that when Steiner's pages are printed on larger paper, the border seems to be slightly more spread out for some reason. But maybe that's just an optical illusion.

This website will do that printing for you at very reasonable prices. See the website for those prices -- about 25-30 cents a page which is a real bargain. If you've priced album pages from the main album manufacturers, you know they can cost more than a dollar, even two dollars, per page. Printing your own pages is really cheap, no doubt, but you'd need a wide-bed printer to do that larger sized pages yourself. Buying 100 pages printed for you from this website at $25-30 (plus a modest shipping fee) is very inexpensive in the pricey world of stamp collecting supplies. Album pages for an entire country that Lighthouse will sell you for $1000, and Scott for $300, will cost you $100 using this website. Add the cost of one or two binders, and you're all set with a good-looking "real" album.

They will fit into one of the appropriate binders (Scott International, Minkus, or Scott Specialty). But what you end up with is just larger Steiner pages, not "Scott Speccialized" pages even if they look somewhat similar to them.

The pages come with whichever hole punch you prefer of the three types. You can't get more than one hole punch on your pages -- as Scott does with its Specialty pages which have both the two square hole punching and the 3-ring hole punching on the same pages. That's not available on these printed-for-you larger Steiner pages. So decide which hole punch you want. I figure I could always 3-hole punch my pages later if I wanted to, so I order the 2-square holes for my Specialty binders.

Scott pages are sold by many sellers but are printed by Amos Media which owns the old Scott Publishing Co./Scott Publications. They sell through their AmosAdvantage website, and the "advantage" in this case is that they can ship their own pages very quickly unlike some other resellers of Scott album pages which often take longer to ship. They also discount their pages if you are a subscriber to one of their publications like "Linn's Stamp News". Other sellers also discount Scott products, sometimes a little more than Amos does. I've found buying from Amos very easy and the products come quickly.

I've also used Subway Stamp Shop many times to buy Scott album pages, but their shipments take weeks, sometimes months, to get to me. I suspect Scott/Amos doesn't provide their products to Subway until there's enough to ship them economically -- or maybe they just don't want Subway undercutting their prices to too many buyers! I Recently, I've even been advised by people at Subway that it's better to buy my Scott album pages directly from Amos Advantage because they have so much trouble getting Scott pages sent to them to send to their customers. The slightly higher Amos price is compensated for by much faster shipping by Scott/Amos.

So there you have what I know!

I use Scott Specialty size Steiner pages in Scott Specialty binders for countries I collect which Scott/Amos do not make albums for -- or for sections of Scott albums that are missing some pages which Scott can't provide me economically enough for that few pages. So my Specialty albums are either all Scott pages (with the fancy border) or a mixture of Scott Specialty pages and Specialty-sized Steiner pages with the much simpler border. I find I don't notice the borders much, though, so even an album of mixed pages looks coherent and quite nice. I should mention that the printed Steiner pages from this supplier will be on a slightly whiter paper than Scott pages which have a little more yellow in their white. So they don't match exactly, but I hardly notice the difference. If you're a perfectionist, things like this will bother you, but I've long since given up being a perfectionist. I'm just happy with a good-looking stamp album. An album with all Steiner pages in a Scott binder really looks nice and it avoids the notebook-albums I don't much like.

Hope that helps.

Edited by DrewM - 05/23/2020 02:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
2154 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my view, Steiner pages are ok, if you considere that stamps are the most important things on an album page.
If Bill Steiner placed stamps on a logical chronological order, instead of Scott's catalog (crazy, in my personal view) one, it would be perfect for me.
Being Europe-based, I'm not familiar with Scott pages; but I've got some older (from the 50's) Yvert et Tellier, German & Dutch albums, and they're ok with the contemporary stamps.

But, if you mainly care for the stamps, and are looking for an economical advantatgeous option. IMO Steiner pages, are the best option.
Edited by Cursus - 05/23/2020 06:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2735 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cursus,

When you say chronological order, do you mean that Scott puts air mails, semi-postals, etc. in a separate sections?

Al
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4782 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be anything more than a basic, formulaic stamp storage solution, Steiner would have to design pages with an attractive font and much better layout. I can entirely understand why he can't face doing that. The unhappy separation of air-mail, charity stamps etc, often within the same set, is something he's inherited from Scott, which presumably isn't a problem for his US target market. I shouldn't like to display my stamps in Steiner or similar web-derived pages - it's a little like looking at a supermarket shelful of tinned goods.
Valued Member
194 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will never understand the separation of "charity" stamps. Many European countries regularly issued such stamps. They are ordinary stamps used for postage. These countries have a long history of solidarity and cultural development through surcharges on postage stamps.
Edited by NSK - 05/23/2020 08:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4623 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DREW M ---Excellent write up on the subject.....I should ask DON to tombstone it ,important read !

CURSUS - Agree with you ,Steiner Pages are the best option .

A little history is needed here ---Scott has that seperation of Airmail,Charity and Postage Dues is because at the start of the 1900's that is what collectors wanted and how they collected ,albums were made by many that just had Airmails or Charity/Semi-postals ,it was how collectors wanted it . Scott did what the hobby wanted .
Learn More...
8030 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I predict that many self-printed albums will be the "Crystal Mounts" in 40 years from now. This has nothing to do with the software, it has everything to do with people cheaping out when they buy paper. Let's face it, many people are drawn to self-printed pages because they consider it less expensive. Buying cheap paper that is marked 'acid free' is archivally meaningless and most certainly does not mean the paper will not acidify. So just like "Crystal Mounts", years from now there will be countless stamp trashed due to collectors 'saving money' by printing their own pages. People who peddle self-printed pages are doing a disservice to the hobby if they also do not offer education on paper purchasing.

In my opinion self-printed pages have two primary values; they allow you to customized them and make a truly unique album and secondly they allow you to purchased outstanding archival paper. But note both of these values cost more than buying preprinted pages. True archival paper is incredibly costly compared to the cheap 'acid free' garbage available in a local box store. But done right by investing in archival paper and customizing the self-printed pages you can develop an outstanding family heirloom. Done wrong, and you end up with a worthless pile of acidified stamps and pages.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
2154 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Angore: Yes I mean so. There's no good or bad way. Just the one that you're used to. Even using Steiner pages, I place them in the binder by chronological order. Just a way of collecting!
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Scott pages are sold by many sellers but are printed by Amos Media which owns the old Scott Publishing Co./Scott Publications. They sell through their AmosAdvantage website, and the "advantage" in this case is that they can ship their own pages very quickly unlike some other resellers of Scott album pages which often take longer to ship. They also discount their pages if you are a subscriber to one of their publications like "Linn's Stamp News". Other sellers also discount Scott products, sometimes a little more than Amos does. I've found buying from Amos very easy and the products come quickly.

I've also used Subway Stamp Shop many times to buy Scott album pages, but their shipments take weeks, sometimes months, to get to me. I suspect Scott/Amos doesn't provide their products to Subway until there's enough to ship them economically -- or maybe they just don't want Subway undercutting their prices to too many buyers! I Recently, I've even been advised by people at Subway that it's better to buy my Scott album pages directly from Amos Advantage because they have so much trouble getting Scott pages sent to them to send to their customers. The slightly higher Amos price is compensated for by much faster shipping by Scott/Amos.

So there you have what I know!

Thank you so much for this great info. I definitely want the Scott pages. This is what I want but it says backordered. Should I be concerned? How long do you think it will take for them to ship that to Chicago?

https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...76-149-pages

Thanks again!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4623 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read what Don wrote about acid paper and the chance it can destroy or damage stamps . Have to agree about long term protect ,but most collections don't last that long . After attending and watching collections being sold at public auctions at Rasdale and Kelleher over the last 45 years. My guess is most stamp collections have a life of 15 to 25 years .

My high school stamp collection which is already 53 years old and mounted on H.E.Harris album pages . The pages are still bright and even the hinges are holding up very well . I do agree with Don about caution for those collections that are very expensive stamps that need mounts or research type of collections where the value is in the written research that goes with stamps ,those type of collections need to be preserved for many years .
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Read what Don wrote about acid paper and the chance it can destroy or damage stamps.

But the stamps would be inside mounts, so the album paper does not matter, correct?
Edited by niosurfer - 05/23/2020 3:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4782 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps don'thave to be in mounts. Used stamps in particular look better hinged, and there's no need to place previously hinged or low value mint stamos in mounts.
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Stamps don'thave to be in mounts. Used stamps in particular look better hinged, and there's no need to place previously hinged or low value mint stamos in mounts.

What I hate about hinged stamps is that they are fixed, you can't move them, inspect them, swap them, etc. Then what happens if you get an unused stamp and want to replace the used hinged stamp in you album for the unused one? It will be messy and you will probably damage the used stamp that is used but can still be valuable. What do you think?
Pillar Of The Community
753 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if album manufacturers are themselves using "archival" paper. Are they? 'd guess their paper is now "acid-free" since that's become the standard for things like stamp albums, but if that's a fairly imprecise term, what does that prove? Maybe not much. My point is that comparing standard office supply store paper, the cheap stuff that's "acid-free," to far better archival paper may be useful, but only if you're buying your own paper to print on It may not work for preprinted albums. Archival paper you buy to print on is likely to be very good and long-lasting. But I'm not so sure if the paper in printed albums is "archival". Is it?

I, too, wonder what the self-printed albums of today will look like in 50 years. I've seen enough old stamp albums to wonder if people were in their right minds when they bought and used them years ago. Paper is often too thin. It's usually not acid-free so it has become yellowed, even brittle. Try turning the pages in a hundred year old album. They may crumble in your hands they're so brittle. I doubt they were "archival". Will modern self-printed albums on office supply store paper look bad years from now?

The self-printed albums of today seem to me to be the equivalent of all those inexpensive albums of the past, the ones sold by HE Harris, Grossman Stamp Company, and so on. They got filled with mainly cheap stamps and then the pages yellowed and the stamps either got thrown away or salvaged years later. I think that's inevitable with the lower-end of collecting, where a lot of what's collected doesn't survive. It's more worrisome if collectors are mounting better stamps on cheap paper. That could be a problem decades from now.

And then there's the ink. I have no idea what computer printer ink might do to stamps. I guess we'll find out. With stamp mounts, maybe none of this will matter (compared to hinges, I mean).

Are Scott album pages "archival" ? I'd say they're acid-free, but otherwise I don't know. I ask because I use those pages. Do other major album makers use high-quality archival paper for their pages? If not, then aren't those pages in the same category as "acid-free" office store paper?

Edited by DrewM - 05/23/2020 5:15 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 429Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05