Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Buy It Now Or Make Offer

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 16 / Views: 515Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5890 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stallzer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever bypassed the "Make offer" on a stamp and actually paid the asking price? Just curious because every time I've purchased something with an option to make an offer I'm compelled to try and save a couple of bucks. I don't low ball anyone and try and be fair. I just purchased a stamp this morning listed at £55 and made an offer of £50, no reply yet but I'll guarantee the seller takes the offer or counters half way between.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
888 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is a low dollar item, yes. I have.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have, but only when it was an item that I thought was underpriced. I didn't want to have someone else see it and buy it while I was waiting on a response to the best offer trying to save a few dollars.
Pillar Of The Community
2697 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am puzzled, if you purchased the stamp, then all the "make offer" options are moot. Why would he respond when the item was already sold to you at a higher price?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3956 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will pay the "buy it now" price if it meets my criteria for gotta have it now. Yes!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4624 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John ---You make the offer before you buy it . Usually the seller has 24 hours to reply . If I get no reply or rejects my offer,then I step up and buy it .

I don't like using the BUY-IT-NOW on my sales ,because that's the hunting ground for eBay Sellers who are looking just to low ball me so they can sell it . Yes got many that were at 50% of my asking price ,that just ticks me off.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2479 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tomiseksj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been awhile since I sold on eBay but, if memory serves, you can set the software to automatically reject offers below a threshold that you have established.

As a buyer, if I see a BIN item that includes the Make Offer option, I assume that the seller is willing to entertain reasonable offers.

Rarely have I had my offers rejected (which, of course, leads me to wonder how low the seller would have been willing to go).
Edited by tomiseksj - 05/23/2020 3:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2697 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader, I am very familiar with eBay, having made over 10,000 transactions both as buyer and seller. I was looking for stallzer to clarify his statement ... that he bought the item (then?) made an offer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
557 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would depend on the auction.
I tend to make offers when it is an option.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted Yesterday   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree if it is under priced or if price is fair and "I got to have it now". Reminds me of an item by a well known dealer with an auction starting price and a BIN price on eBay. Both were fair prices and I really wanted it and doubted I would ever find the item again, in that condition at that price. I snapped it up at the BIN price and have never regretted it. I did not receive any feedback from him (way back when every one left it), but could not have cared less.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4624 Posts
Posted Yesterday   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The BUY -IT-NOW works well for those experience collector who see something that never or rarely shows up in the market place .

As a person who looked at maybe 100 Part 1 of the Scott {big Blue }International's at many different stamp auctions .You start to see which stamps are missing and that never have that spot filled .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1229 Posts
Posted Yesterday   11:00 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you folks think about making offers on auction items that don't have a BIN or Best Offer option? Do you contact the seller and ask for a BIN price?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2407 Posts
Posted Yesterday   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What do you folks think about making offers on auction items that don't have a BIN or Best Offer option?

I have sent offers to sellers that were not offering those options, and had the offer accepted and ignored.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
599 Posts
Posted Yesterday   2:07 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a seller I rarely use the best offer option as a listing device, but some items with an offer option still sell at full price. More typically there is an offer. As a buyer, using best offer is an invitation to try to get a discount if you are willing to risk the item selling from under you while you negotiate.

I have seen increased numbers of offers come in by message for items where I don't use best offers. I typically don't take them because they are usually lowballs. The ones I really don't understand are the people who try to offer half of a start price on an active auction....the seller has absolutely no incentive to take a discount until after the auction is over.
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
Posted Yesterday   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Best Offer items I generally take as the seller saying, "I will take less than the opening bid amount if I have to." The game is arriving at the amount.

And then, if you look at the list of unsold items, a good case can be made they were priced too high for the item offered and condition of the marketplace.

Cavate emptor.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4624 Posts
Posted Yesterday   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I still think many of those Lowball BUY-IT-NOW offers are eBay sellers who will add a dollar or two and then add another buck or two to the shipping . Sellers looking for inventory ?
Page: of 2 Replies: 16 / Views: 515Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05