Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Buy It Now Or Make Offer

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 873Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5944 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Apologies John, been away from the board. In case I wasn't clear in the opening post if an item has a make offer option I will always make an offer and I have never just bought an item at the asking price if a make offer is available. I kind of feel as if a seller is telling me, "here is what I really want to sell it for but I'm negotiable".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - if there is a Make An Offer button, I will click on it first. I tend to offer 10% less than listed price, and those offers are mostly accepted, but not always. I have never seen a lot listed at twice what I would be willing to pay and offer half their Buy It Now price - I just won't even try.

I am amused by the (major) seller who lists his Buy It Now price at Catalog Value for stamps that typically sell for 1/3 to 1/2 SCV or less. You're probably all aware of this. Multi-$1000 stamps and it is up to the buyer to come u-p with a price. I refuse to play that game - I am the only one that would possibly get burned. I don't like this tactic at all, and, on principle, won't buy from this seller.

Quasi-related: If I see something with a Buy It Now listing, and don't need it right this minute, I will 'Watch' it. I learned to do this after I did it and got a lower offer from the seller. Maybe 10% of the time, ***I*** now get offers if I am Watching a lot.

If I want it now, and it is reasonably priced, I will Buy It Now. Generally, though, I don't need anything now.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 873Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05