Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's The Best Way (Less Time) To Buy And Place Mounts For Each And Every Stamp In A Country Album?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 785Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add niosurfer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Do stamps have standard sizes? I see many different sizes on my country album. Anyways, I'm looking for a recommendation on how to place mounts on a country album. My preferences are:

- Clear is probably best than black background
- 3 sides open, only the top (or bottom) closed. I don't like the ones the open in the middle as it makes it very tricky to take stamps out and put them back again. It can even damage the stamps by folding them.

So the big problem here is: Do I have to cut mounts to the right size for each stamp? What mount sheets do you recommend that I can cut with a scissors to make it the size of each stamp? I'll probably have to buy a lot of them. Or should I get the precut ones for the standard stamp sizes and just for the odd sizes I cut it myself?

Any other ideas? I would not want to use hinges or center-cut mounts in my album.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4954 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a printed album, clear mounts are best - any information in the box can then be read. Album manufacturers always use clear mounts. I buy strips and cut them to size - it's the cheaper option. I have a mount-cutter, but usually use scissors. Attach with a dab of glue-stick, not saliva.

Black mounts look better than clear on blank/quadrille white pages.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Album manufacturers always use clear mounts.

Which album manufacturer produces albums with mounts already? I thought mounts were on us.

Quote:

I buy strips and cut them to size - it's the cheaper option.

Which strips do you buy that are clear in the background and *not* center-opened. Can you provide me with a link so I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm new to those things :)

Quote:

Attach with a dab of glue-stick, not saliva.

Can you provide the link where I can buy that too?

Many thanks for your help!
Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Almost all European producers have hingeless albums. Not all use mounts. But those that do not use mounts - many of the German ones - tend to be expensive.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Almost all European producers have hingeless albums. Not all use mounts. But those that do not use mounts - many of the German ones - tend to be expensive.

Can you provide a link to such an album? So you are saying that the album already comes with all the mounts for the stamps? That would save a lot of time producing and placing mounts in a Scott Specialty Album for example. No?
Pillar Of The Community
789 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, stamps aren't really issued in "standard" sizes but most countries have sizes that are fairly standard for many of their stamps. But not all. One country may issue stamps in many dozes of different sizes.

Many album manufacturers sell albums with mounts already in them. They're called "hingeless" albums, and they're very expensive. They include Lighthouse, Schaubek, Davo, Stanley Gibbons, Marini, Yvert, Palo, Mystic Stamp, and even Scott which sells a Schaubek- made album with Scott National pages in it with mounts. And there are others, as well. No mount cutting problems with these albums, but you pay a big price for them. A thousand dollars for an entire country would not be unusual. That's why most collectors put their own mounts into their albums. It sort of spreads out the expense over time. I suppose the cost of an album plus the cost of the mounts is less than a hingeless album, but I've never seen anyone add up the costs to show how much less.

With lower-priced or blank albums, you have to put the mounts in yourself -- if you use mounts, that is (there are also stamp hinges). That usually involves a mount cutter, a little guillotine device, that makes cutting mounts easy and accurate. But scissors will work even if they sometimes cut a mount at an angle which doesn't look so good.

Buying mounts specifically sized for certain stamps is more expensive, but easier. Cutting them yourself is cheaper. And there are a huge number of sizes you'll need to deal with all sorts of differently-sized stamps. It can be a bit overwhelming!

Black mounts are most popular but clear mounts are easier to use since they don't show mistakes as easily. On an album page, a misaligned black mount can be really noticeable. A slightly "off" clear mount isn't noticeable. Clear mounts also let you see what's behind the stamp which may be stamp information, catalogue number, and so on. Black mounts cover that up. When combined with stamp hinges, clear mounts generally look better. An album that mixes black-backed mounts with stamp hinges always looks messy to me, but you may not see it that way.

All hingeless albums that I've seen use clear mounts. On blank pages, black mounts provide a background for each stamp which looks good, but clear mounts can look good on blank pages, too. In printed albums with thin pages, the weight of all the mounts weighs down the pages noticeably so maybe not a good idea to use them in cheaper albums. They work best on heavier pages.

Believe it or not, but some collectors still use stamp hinges! I use hinges for all my used stamps and for "mint" stamps with hinge marks on the back. I have entire albums mounted with hinges. Can I say that today? Hinges, even at the expensive prices the good old-fashioned hinges sell for today, cost 1-2 cents a hinges. Compare that to the cost of mounts which are far more expensive. And it adds up. An entire album mounted with hinges costs maybe $20-30. With mounts? Much more than that.

The key thing with hinges is not to moisten them much -- and to use, if possible, older classic hinges like Fold-O or Dennison which you can still buy on eBay. The older hinges had a better glue that released easily when it dried, thus not damaging the stamp at all. More modern hinges have more aggressive glue on them. They need more care in not getting them too wet. A good approach is to moisten them only very lightly, then wait at least a few seconds for the moisture to evaporate, then apply them. Never apply a really wet hinge to the back of a stamp or you may never get it off again.

MNH stamps should probably go in mounts, however, but frankly most modern MNH stamps are so very common I don't quite see why that's necessary most of the time. There are differences of opinion on this, of course, and we don't want to ruin a stamp just because we're cheap, but I see a lot of used common stamps put into mounts and I wonder why? I suppose it protects them, but isn't that the job of the album and the interleaving? Mounts also add bulk (thickness) to your album. An entire album filled with mounts will bulge due to the thickness of the stamps plus the mounts. You may have to remove some pages and put them in a second binder to deal with that. HInges vs. mounts isn't a simple good or bad propostiion.

Various kinds of mounts, clear and black, split-back and three sides open are available at all the usual websites -- Amos Advantage, Subway Stamp Shop, Potomac Supplies, etc.

As for glue sticks, they can be bought at office supply stores (and other stores) or on Amazon. In fact, some stamp mounts may be sold on Amazon (or eBay). Browse around. All of this stuff is widely available.

Anyway, that's everything I know about mounts -- and hinges. Enjoy!
Edited by DrewM - 05/23/2020 4:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many album manufacturers sell albums with mounts already in them. They're called "hingeless" albums, and they're very expensive. They include Lighthouse, Schaubek, Davo, Stanley Gibbons, Marini, Yvert, Palo, Mystic Stamp, and even Scott which sells a Schaubek- made album with Scott National pages in it with mounts. And there are others, as well. No mount cutting problems with these albums, but you pay a big price for them. A thousand dollars for an entire country would not be unusual. That's why most collectors put their own mounts into their albums. It sort of spreads out the expense over time. I suppose the cost of an album plus the cost of the mounts is less than a hingeless album, but I've never seen anyone add up the costs to show how much less.

You are a stamp encyclopedia, thanks so much! I would be willing to invest in a hingeless album. Better than to leave the money to the kids so they can spend with God knows what.

From all those hingeless album manufactures you mentioned, do you know a few that provide top open mounts instead of center open mounts? I really prefer the top open ones.
Learn More...
8264 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
re: 'stick glue'
In my opinion use of stick glue is experimental, no one can say for sure that it is safe over time**.
Don

**There may be folks who will say, "I have used it for the last X years and have not seen any issues' but this is an anecdotal observation. Not every Crystal Mount collection is damaged today, some are in good condition (those albums which were stored in very good environmental conditions). But when posting in a public forum, the question is not if something has previously been used safely. The question is if something will be safe in EVERY environment over time.
Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you look at a hingeless album, you should consider most will not follow the Scott listing. Many of the publishers are European. They will follow local catalogues or general European catalogues such as Michel or Yvert & Tellier.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

When you look at a hingeless album, you should consider most will not follow the Scott listing. Many of the publishers are European. They will follow local catalogues or general European catalogues such as Michel or Yvert & Tellier.

I guess I'll just buy the Scott Specialty pages and place the mounts one-by-one myself. I have most of the stamps from the album so that looks like a very time consuming task. But that's the hobby we chose, right? :)

What mount strips that I can cut myself to fit each stamp do you recommend that are top-open, not center-open? I would like to have mounts like the image below:

Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hawid, Lighthouse. DAVO has self-adhesive ones, called DAVO Easy.

The picture you posted is a DAVO page that uses the old DAVO mounts.
Edited by NSK - 05/23/2020 5:20 pm
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add niosurfer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Hawid, Lighthouse. DAVO has self-adhesive ones, called DAVO Easy.

Thanks so much for the tip. I could have never guessed that myself. Just bought DAVO EASY. They are clear and top open, just like I needed.

Quote:
Black mounts look better than clear on blank/quadrille white pages.

Yeah, but they cover the information from the album.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4954 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no information on a blank page except that which you apply yourself.
Valued Member
255 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   03:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no information on a blank page except that which you apply yourself.

If you do apply information yourself, you might better print it so the stamp will not cover it. If you use a hinge, you can lift the stamp up and see what information is underneath it. When you use hingeless mounts you will have to move the stamp to see what information is underneath.

Most of the time, preprinted information is the face value and generic colour that you might be able to guess from the actual stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2802 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   05:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use clear mounts that open at top that create by cutting split back mounts in half lengthwise. I only apply attach at very top so you can lift the stamp to check some information on the back.

As said albums with mounts already included can be very expensive. I would like to see how the manage all the different sizes.

Now British Commonwealth definitives are usually a common size (25 high, 25mm wide) so I often keep a bunch pre=-cut.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4604 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Palo hingeless albums follow Scott order.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 785Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05