Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Let's See Your Pack Horse Covers

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 294Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't expect to see too many responses, but please surprise me. This one showed up today. The Centenary of Shepparton, Blossom Town of Victoria, Australia. I don't know how far this pack horse trip went, and the cancel is undecipherable, but probably 28 Oct 1938. There are some signatures at the bottom, possibly by one or two of the riders. (Nothing on the back.)

I don't know what is crossed out around the words "Pack Horse". I saw another copy on eBay and it has the same blocks, but no signatures. Enjoy.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StevieG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here's a newspaper reference to the pack horse mailman arriving in Melbourne, October 1938.
Looks like there are/were 6,000 of these out there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The blocked out words are possibly "The" and "Mail"

Edited by rod222 - 05/25/2020 12:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great info guys. I couldn't find any of this information, so it is much appreciated and will be part of my reference for this item. The signatures on my cover confirm Steve Wood, Eric McRae, and S. E. Gome, so only missing C. Mansell and W. Sprunt. (I'll now be on the lookout for those two.)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29779 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note: Real name appears to be trooper Eric Woods, nickname "Steve"
but why does he sign SJWoods
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe because there was already Sergeant Eric McRae in the same group? Who knows, but E. Gome could also have been an Eric.
Valued Member
Australia
112 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StevieG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another cover (not mine) that I found on the net.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another one on eBay. I guess they are fairly common, but still looking for one with signatures.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 294Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05