Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Curious Attribution Case Of A Rare Civil War Photographer Cancel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 275Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4808 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   09:30 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one's a bit of a head-scratcher. If anyone can lend any insight, I would appreciate it.

Below is one of the pages from Bruce Baryla's award-winning Civil War Sun Tax exhibit (exhibit in its entirety can be seen at http://web.newsguy.com/bruceb/london/exhibit01.htm ).

When Bruce broke up the exhibit in 2013, I acquired this page along with many other items from the exhibit.

Along with that CDV, he also had a second CDV showing another portion of the same cancel. Here are both CDVs.

The cancel is attributed as being from the studio of "C. Becker, Hudson, N.Y." which is borne out by the markings on the photo side of the CDV.

Fast forward to last week. I was perusing the Bay when I saw a listing for revenues on album pages. It was a real nothingburger of a lot, considerably overpriced for what was in it... but one particular stamp on a page caught my eye:

So I placed a snipe on the lot just for one stamp and proceeded to win it. Here is a high-resolution image of the stamp in question.

It's clearly the same camera image... but the name in the cancel appears to be "R. N. Ham", not "C. Becker".

Here is a composite of the 3 cancels.

My Google searching shows a third photographer "Jas. E. Canfield" at 322 Warren Street (address can be partially seen in composite image above) in Hudson, N.Y. at approximately the same time, so I'm wondering if there were several photographers that shared that same studio location. Any thoughts?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
334 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My first thought is to look at some city directories for Hudson, New York, and see which of the names was holding forth as a photographer at that location over time.
I was not able to locate any except in Ancestry.com. I do not have a paid subscription so cannot dig into this myself, but perhaps you do, or some other Forum member might be able to do this. The full placename for limiting location searching is Hudson, Columbia County, New York.

BTW there is yet another photographer in town about then: a Francis Forshew

The Hudson library would likely be able to help whenever they reopen.

Hope this helps.
- Jonathan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2784 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several thoughts come to mind having tracked the 19th century photographers in another city of similar size ...

City directories are often too infrequent in the civil war era to capture the desired info.
Ads in newspapers do a much better job and the taxed era is short enough to do a quick survey about every month. Many of these are ocr'd too.
Photographers came and went quite rapidly, often at the same address.
Non-stamped mundane photos are typically inexpensive enough to quickly acquire a representative collection from a city.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 275Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05