Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Some Expert Help

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,463Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
6 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add collector62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have recently acquired a collection and trying to research the stamps the best I can butI could certainly use some expert help. The first two I have identified but can't tell if they are real or not. There have been forgeries of both over the years and wondering if they are too good to be true. Especially the red Saxony. The third is a Newfoundland Inland revenue stamp, but I cannot find any that ever had an overprint as shown. Thanks for your time and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
144 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will let the experts reply for the first two stamps.

The third stamp is a provisional stamp from 1963. This is NFR44 from ESJ Van Dam's book on Canadian Revenue Stamps. Value given in my 1987 catalogue is $95. There is a perf missing on top otherwise a nice stamp.

Dan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collector62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Mirman
Valued Member
257 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert, but that Saxony nr. 1 looks awfully crisp.
Edited by NSK - 05/24/2020 10:45 am
Valued Member
227 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link below has been very helpful in detecting forgeries in the early stamps. If you hit the link and go to page 346 you will see details on the first stamp. This link is to the early version of "Album Weeds" (single volume) and an updated version in two volumes is also available. This is a great book and can be found on eBay (often in somewhat ragged condition) and it can be a bit pricy but worth a look if you collect the early period stamps. A google search on eBay may help you find the two volume version which has numerous updates but just the link may be enough to help you along for now.

***Link Removed***

Hope this helps.
Hobsun
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Sachsendreier is 99.9% certainty it is a forgery. This stamp is one of a handful of German stamps that absolutely must be acquired with a certificate.
Learn More...
8372 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   11:18 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Album Weeds download has been available on Stamp Smarter for over 2 years. (And you don't have to support the Wayback Machine which steals websites without permission).
http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ho...atalogs.html
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
317 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Nicaragua stamp looks to be genuine, but most likely a reprint. The originals have thin white gum, the reprints thick yellowish gum.
The Saxony 3 pfennig is on laid paper, which your does not look to be
Edited by Willwood42 - 05/24/2020 12:27 pm
Valued Member
227 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Don,

Sorry, I was not aware that the link was an issue nor that the wayback link was stealing information. My intent was to help out and I had that link stored and shared it but know better now. I purchased the album weed book years ago but thought sharing the link would provide more help. I have learned something here, thanks.

Hobsun
Learn More...
8372 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   1:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No worries. Wayback has been harvesting entire websites without permission for years under the guise of 'archiving'. This is like The Library of Congress breaking into your house, taking whatever they want out of your stamp or postal history collection, and justifying it since they are archiving important content. I would have a problem if they requested permission, but they made the decision years ago to simply steal it without asking anyone anything. Additionally, much of the website scraping they have done is woefully incomplete.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too, used it often, in ignorance.
No idea content was stolen, I thought it was a wonderful service for dead links.

As an aside,
I was reading this, this morning from Academia.
Author : Linda Edquist.
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collector62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much for everyone's help and the weeds resource. There is certainly a lot of information to digest, but well worth it and fascinating.
I have just two others that I could use an opinion on.

Valued Member
257 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that the Baden stamp is posing as an 1866 issue, but from the picture I have a hard time believing it is typographed as it should be.
Edited by NSK - 05/26/2020 3:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Baden stamp is missing a portion of the cross on top of the crown. Most likely a forgery. A sharp image would make identification more precise.
Valued Member
Canada
6 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collector62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info. I can't post hi res scans due to the posting limitations on file size
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4768 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The US stamp is a fake/reproduction.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,463Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05