Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Confederate States Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 456Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
98 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BakerJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys! I was going through a tote and ran across these CSA stamps. A friend of mine saw them and offered to buy them. I told him I would need to see what they are and their value, then figure out a price. Can anyone help me out ID'ing the gutter pair, the 3rd stamp in top row, and what is on the covers? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
218 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

BakerJ,

Lots of views but no replies as of yet so I will share what I can. The 3rd stamp in the top row is CSA #11 based on the broken lines above the "E" and "N" of cents and looks like the Milky Blue color. The pair is CSA 12 maybe a greenish blue color. NOTE: Identifying Colors based on scan is difficult but these would be my guess.

As for the stamps,you have no heavy hitters in the group, the Two cent(CSA 8) and the Twenty Cent(CSA 13) are cataloged higher in used condition. The first 2 stamps (CSA 4 and likely 7) are not great copies but serviceable. A little time looking at the sold lots on ebay will help you see what similar material is being traded at.

The covers appear to be genuine uses and I believe them to be CSA 12s. The cover with the blue cancel is from Columbia, SC and has a charge box notation (513). If you are interested in the history aspects, you may want to look up the name Joseph Habersham. There was a Joseph Habersham who served as Mayor of Savannah in 1792. He also served as Postmaster General under Washington (1795 - 1801), although he died in 1815 long before this cover, one specific descendant, Josephine Clay Habersham, is remembered for her diary of Savannah in the Civil War. Not sure is this adds any value to the cover but it might be fun to research further. The cover is clean and the stamp has good margins.

Not much help on the second cover it is obviously a bit worn.

Hope this helps.
Hobsun

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doghunterr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Baker J.
The second cover is postmarked "West Point, Georgia," which had a significant role in the Civil War as the site of Fort Tyler. This earthen fort was built to defend the strategic Chattahoochee River bridges and military depot in West Point. It was the site of one of the last engagements of the Civil War, fought on April 16, 1865, between Union cavalry under command of Col. Oscar LaGrange and Confederates under Gen. Robert Tyler. The Confederates, numbering fewer than 300 men, managed to withstand advances by 3,500 Union soldiers for eight hours before the fort was finally captured.
Sorry, I don't know the value.
John
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Doghunterr! I find back stories on stamps and covers of great interest. Thank You.
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   04:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the feedback! I do get into the history side of things. Maybe this will give me more insight of the time.
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   04:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Speaking of history, I was going through a tote over the weekend and found this old photo of President Taft having a rally in my hometown. It was taken on September 29, 1911, in Albia, Iowa. Did you know..... Taft is the only person to hold office as president and also serve as a Chief Justice.
Valued Member
United States
215 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I have read he always wanted to be on the Supreme Court. Even when he was president he still yearned for it and wasn't happy until he finally got it.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
355 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bakerj, Hobsun013:

Joseph Habersham was Postmaster General between 1795 and 1801, serving under Washington, Adams, and briefly under Thomas Jefferson.

Here is a postmaster commission document issued by him dated February 24, 1800. It appoints William Kilby as the postmaster of newly established post office of Denneysville, Maine.

Josephine Clay Habersham was a granddaughter of James Habersham, who was an older brother of Joseph Habersham, the Postmaster General. Although her maiden name was Habersham, she married William Neyle Habersahm in 1840, who was a son of Joseph Habersham, thus a distant cousin. William died in 1864 during the Battle of Atlanta.

This genealogy derived from the Find-A-Grave website, a useful resource for locating relatives.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial...ay-habersham

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 05/27/2020 07:09 am
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
Posted 05/27/2020   1:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BakerJ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is some great info, Mike! Thank you much for that! I appreciate it!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 456Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05