Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Me With This Small Collection From Germany

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 354Next Topic  

Germany
2 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nekoda to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I am from Germany and I recently found this on a flea market for almost free. The lady couldn't tell me anything about it, because it was her ex-husband's collection. It cost me only 20 Euros so I just bought it without further hesitation.

I wonder if the stamps have any value, because I am sure that there are pretty old ones in the collection. Lots of different countries, Germany, Austria, Poland, Spain and even arabic ones aswell as pieces from Africa, South America and far-east Asia.

It would help a lot if anyone could provide some clarification. :)

Thank you in advance!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you get your money's worth in fun looking these up in a catalog and sorting them and perhaps mounting them in a stock book or album, then that is good. It is doubtful that you could sell them for what you paid.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Germany
2 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nekoda to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well then I'll just let it rest, I will become a father of a son in october, maybe his children will get something for it.

But I will wait for more opinions. I looked some of them up, and it seems that there are some good ones like for example the Austria stamp from 1922,just google "404b Österreich Frauenbild 1922". The catalog value of that one is about 400 Euros, sold in auctions for about 150-200 Euros. There are 2 of them. I counted the perforations with the help of the 2 centimeter rule. There are also some I am unsure about, like the green 300 Deutsche Reichsmark that is supposed to be a couple hundreds in value aswell.

I checked only about 20 stamps so far, but I am unsure, because I don't know anything. I might be very wrong.

Thank you for your response.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3539 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give you a second opinion. I also didn't see anything of value, but it is a very nice starter collection. You may want to get to your library (assuming it will soon open) and check out the catalogs to verify your findings.

Otherwise, you could post just the pictures of the ones that you think have some value and we have many people here that can look them up and give you an answer.
Learn More...
8275 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   6:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.
I concur with the others, a good start on a new hobby. Many stamps were produced in very large quantities over several years. But as you note, there are some less common varieties often related to perforations, watermarks, or other subtle differences. Stamp collectors enjoy looking for the less common varieties but it is always best if you assume that the stamps you have are the more common ones. It is like getting a bunch of lottery tickets, fun to think you might have hit the jackpot but the odds are very slim.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4993 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Austrian one you think is worth a few hundred Euros
is Michel 404
There is the common variety 404A with perforation 12 1/2
and then there is the expensive one 404B with perf 11 1/2

Most of the lower values were issued in both perfs but the
high values 2000Kr to 10,000Kr were only issued perf 12 1/2.

It appears that you don't have a perforation gauge but that's
OK. Try this.
Just place your 1000Kr directly over either your 2000Kr or 3000Kr
and compare.

If the perforations match and line up then you have the cheaper
perf 12 1/2

If they do not line up at all then maybe you struck it rich.

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 354Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05