Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Resurrecting The Communinity US Stamp Album

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 536Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 05/24/2020   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add apastuszak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have spend a good deal of time "hacking" the Mystic Heirloom stamp album to fix se-tenant issues in that album. When it got the 21st century pages, there was just too much work to do. I decided that it would be far less work to just make my own pages. I first thought of making Mystic clone pages, but I decided against that, since I didn't want to step on Mystic's copyright. They probably won't go after me for hacking pages here and there. But if I make a completely free supplement that looks like theirs, that would eat into their profit margins for selling supplements, and I think all my hacked pages would go away permanently.

I'm working on my 2003 supplement, and I curious about people's opinion of some Mystic design choices.

For USPS stamps such as First Flight and Audrey Hepburn, Mystic has a habit of wanting you to mount the whole sheet, since it contains additional artwork and descriptive text in the selvage.

I'm curious how you collect these stamps. Do you collect and mount the whole sheet, or do you just collect individual stamps.st-tenants?

My rule for what constitutes a souvenir sheet and what doesn't used to be based on the stamp selvage. If the selvage has perforations in it to let you easily get to the stamps, then it's a regular sheet of stamps. If the stamps are "trapped" in the sheet, then I classify it as a souvenir sheet, since the stamps are not really meant to be used for regular postage.

This classification went out the water with self-adhesive stamps.

Send note to Staff
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/

Pillar Of The Community
United States
926 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I stopped collecting new U.S. issues in 2005, but my general practice was to collect things as the Scott Minuteman album had them. For a while I also saved full self-adhesive ATM booklets, mounted on blank pages inserted at the appropriate spots. When the album had spaces for the individual stamps of a pane, such as the state flags, I would mount the individual stamps in the album, but I would also keep a full pane in a Supersafe mint sheet binder. I would sometimes do the same for panes with interesting selvage that were only in the album as singles, especially if the topic interested me; so I have singles of the Legends of Hollywood series in the album, but full panes of each in Supersafe binders.

I still buy new U.S. issues occasionally, but only when they are of topical interest. In most cases, I'll buy a full pane and put it into a Supersafe binder. Otherwise, it will go into whichever of my Vario binders is most appropriate, depending on the topic.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the life of me, I don't understand why the Scott Minuteman 2003 supplement makes you break up the Old Glory stamps.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On anything released since 2000, I only collect singles and, then, only used copies. For a long time, my US collection ended at 1999 and is housed in the Mystic American Heirloom hingeless albums. Late last year, I decided to start a used US collection as well because I had so many used US stamps off of mail that I've received and accumulations/collections I've bought. Because I was happy with my hingeless Heirloom albums, I ordered the non-hingeless version of the Heirloom albums to house this collection in. I hadn't thought it through, though, and, immediately upon their arrival, saw that I had made a mistake as there are absolutely no spaces for individual stamps from souvenir sheets or blocks.

I then started looking around and decided on the Harris Liberty albums, which are now available punched for 3 ring binders. The Liberty albums have spaces for both the souvenir sheets and the individual stamps from each sheet. With its 3 ring format, it is easy to add and delete pages. Shortly after they arrived, I went through and removed all the pages containing souvenir sheets and put them away, as I'm unlikely to run across too many used souvenir sheets. If one does come my way, though, it will be easy to look through and find the correct page and add it to the album. In fact, the seller who I bought them from used a complete US #2697 1992 WWII Anniversary sheet on the carton so, of course, that page went into the album.

So, my long winded answer to your question is a question for you. Have you considered including both?

The Mystic treatment for the 1970s Celebrate the Century souvenir sheet on one page:

The Harris treatment of the same sheet on two pages:
Edited by Coastwatcher - 05/28/2020 2:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The real question is, am I designing this album for everybody or just me? I could include both, but that's more work. I looked at the 2003 Scott Minuteman album and it only includes single stamps. I think that's the best direction to go.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dbuss to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I very much agree with Coastwatcher's comments about the Harris Liberty pages. To me it is the perfect album to mount a used US collection because they always provide spaces for singles. During the period from the late 60s to early 80s there were numerous se tenet blocks of four and pair issues. The Liberty had space for both the singles and the se tenet blocks. However, I enjoyed finding the canceled blocks, pairs and even strips. It's interesting to note that the Scott National album is now publishing a singles version. Harris beat them to it by decades!
D. Buss
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   8:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crusherjc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the look better when the stamps are mounted as singles. I would save a separate full sheet in a "sheet" album as well. I don't like flipping thru an album with a full sheet mounted, as it always feels like the sheet ill fall out, or get damaged as I flip the page, if that makes sense.
Pillar Of The Community
769 Posts
Posted 06/01/2020   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Individual stamps. That's what I always prefer to mount. As a "stamp" collector, not a "sheet" or "selvage" collector, I enjoy stamps but don't enjoy having to handle entire sheets of stamps (or turn their heavy album pages). With a pair or block, the selvage helps keep them together, so that's a reason not to remove it. Mini-sheets are made to appeal to customers, but I don't like to mount entire sheets since most of what's on them isn't "stamps". And a sheet with its backing paper and margins is much heavier than individual stamps. A mini-sheet is not only heavy (and the weight of many mini-sheets adds up fast), but I don't need a 'blurb' about what the 1920s was like or what the 1960s was about. I'm educated, so I know that. And in any case, I'm interested in stamps. I'd rather remove excess material and focus on the stamps.

The same goes for albums with little paragraphs explaining each stamp or set of stamps. This is unnecessary except to help young or inexperienced collectors. I don't need explanations of "women's liberation" or "jumbo jets" or "VCR's. Unless the album is aimed at a younger audience, it just gets in the way. I think an album should identify he subject of each stamp or set, but otherwise "less is more". Few advanced albums include lots of words. They include stamps, a few identifying words, sometimes perforation or color information but only if it's unusual. My album is not a display like at a stamp show. I'm not presenting philatelic history to an inexperienced viewer. My albums are for me, and I'm not an inexperienced viewer. Wordy explanations clutter things up.

If you're unsure about the subject of some of your stamps and you have access to a computer, just type the subject into your internet browser, and you can find out.

I'd always go with spaces for individual stamps -- except for se-tenants in blocks or pairs which I try to keep together (though they don't have to be). Beyond four attached stamps, though, I'd generally break them into singles.

As for which publisher of which album was first to include spaces for individual stamps, nearly every album I've ever owned since the 1950s has provided spaces for individual stamps. There weren't any "mini-sheets" and few extended se-tenants until fairly recently, so how else would you have designed an album? That includes Scott's National album which has had spaces for individual stamps since its debut about 80 years ago. It's hardly a new thing to do that. I recently was browsing through a beautiful old Schaubek album from about 1910, and it also provided spaces only for individual stamps. No "mini-sheets," believe it or not! That's 110 years of individual stamp spaces. The reason an album for used stamps like Scott's used singles album provides spaces for individual stamps is not because Scott just caught up in album page design. It's because it's for used stamps, and used stamps don't generally come attached to other stamps. An album for used stamps has to be for separate stamps since finding used sheets or used blocks is far more difficult. So, in this case, I don't think Harris beat anybody.
Edited by DrewM - 06/01/2020 11:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
926 Posts
Posted 06/02/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the life of me, I don't understand why the Scott Minuteman 2003 supplement makes you break up the Old Glory stamps.

Fortunately, you can put the full pane in a black-backed mount and hide the ridiculous individual spaces. That's what I did.
Edited by erilaz - 06/02/2020 12:11 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05