Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1857 Perforated Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 207 / Views: 6,502Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1454 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   05:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect these stamps but this is such an enjoyable thread!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
127 Posts
Posted 06/22/2020   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a stamp I have and wish some help with its' identification.
I believe it is a type 1 as it has a top and bottom frame line.Also the C in cents is somewhat disturbed, might that be one of the Gents versions. Any information offered would be appreciated. Thanks

and here is another image with an interesting blue cancel.

javascript:insertsmilie('')
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2318 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   05:19 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both are Type I. The GENTS variety is a Type II stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
838 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   05:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know the perfs are a bit off Chipshot, but the second stamp with the blue cancel is a fine looking stamp!
Type 1, I agree Sinclair no inner framelines
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
127 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another I wish to qualify if someone would be so kind.
I think it might be a 25A with the inner frame lines recut and I tried to get the color real close, might it be Dull Red?

Any comments are appreciated and I understand due to all of the variations in scanners, adjustments and monitors asking for an opinion on color is likely fruitless. Thanks all!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1544 Posts
Posted 06/23/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chip, Yes, that's a very nice #25A with what looks like one or two lines recut in the upper left triangle.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2837 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A dog, but a partial imprint capture.
On cover with letter dated 1858.

Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker - have you tried to plate this? All you gotta do is figure out the plate #, and it look like you might even have a muniscule part of the # at LL. I am trying to figure the cancel - my guess is (Terre) Haute, LA, but the remnant of a letter at B doesn't look like an 'A' or 'a'. Maybe 'D' in (PAI)D?? I don't know the layout of a Terre Haute cds.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 06/24/2020 2:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2837 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, I have not tried to plate it. I have little interest in plating. The CDS is Terre Haute. Ind.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2642 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a great article in the Chronicle that would help plate that stamp.

IDENTIFYING IMPRINT COPIES OF THE
3c 1857 PERFORATED 54 AND 55
ROBERT R. HEGLAND

http://chronicle.uspcs.org/PDF/Chro...82/18530.pdf
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The CDS is Terre Haute. Ind.

Well, duh! I guess I mixed up Terre Haute and Baton Rouge in my head. Anyway, it is a nice imprint capture - if it were perfectly centered, you'd have never gotten the imprint. Well, maybe so - it is quite wide for the issue.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2837 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have pulled that issue of the Chronicle off the shelf for bedtime reading tonight.

Add: based on the location of the imprint to the stamp, it matches up with plate 9 extremely well, and plate 15 as first alternate. A very useful article!
Edited by John Becker - 06/25/2020 09:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2642 Posts
Posted 06/25/2020   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A very useful article!

John, agreed.

It was a bit intimidating, for me at first, but after a couple of runs through it.., it clicked.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
627 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems difficult to find a 25 or 26 that's well or decently centered, without the perforations digging into the label blocks or frame lines.
Here's a 26 that's decently centered.

Pillar Of The Community
3291 Posts
Posted 07/03/2020   08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"When postage stamps were required to be perforated in 1857, he (George C. Howard) was selected to make the machines, and operated them for the contractors, Toppan Carpenter & Co." (Fibre & Fabric, No. 695, June 25, 1898, page 224, Vol. XXVII)
Edited by jogil - 07/03/2020 08:46 am
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 207 / Views: 6,502Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05