Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1857 Perforated Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 252 / Views: 9,233Next Topic
Page: of 17
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
879 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Laurie, even though the right-side ornaments are partially cut away you can see that they are more complete than they would be on a #24. Also, the break in the top frame line is much smaller than is the case on #24. This is a Plate 4 C Relief, which as sinclair said produced both #21 and #22.

Thanks Dudley, I missed out on this stamp unfortunately.
With your assistance and also from the other posters/Oracles on this thread, I'm slowly learning what to look for.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1375 Posts
Posted 09/23/2020   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Need some help plating this stamp very recently received. Though listed as a Type V I am not convinced it is not a Va.

Caper, you are correct that this is a bottom-row F Relief, but I do not believe it is a Type Va. I do not think the right-side ornaments (esp. Orn N) are as complete as the Doporto example. It is not from Plate 10 (the C in CENT does not have the characteristic mark of bottom-row Plate 10 stamps). I will take a closer look tomorrow.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley - As you indicated ornament N is less complete on mine. Assuming it is a bottom row stamp (which seems fairly clear) and the straight edge is where the left and right pane were trimmed (a bit of a guess) then that leave only 5 possibilities. From my review it is clearly not from plates 7,9,& 10 and it does not match better to 100L8. Soooo...

Thanks for your help in advance and anyone else's who wants to chime in!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2247 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is 97L8. There is a curl between ornaments P & Q that gives it away.

The copy at the 1c plating archive does show this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2247 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a reference 97L8.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
722 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right-on Txstamp! Thanks for the help!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6125 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My grungy #35. It been on my "give it a bath" list for almost 7 years :)

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1712 Posts
Posted 09/24/2020   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
txstamp, That is a stunning cancel on your 97L8!
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ecostic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are my favorite series 1857 covers:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1712 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some really nice covers, Ecostic! It's nice to see the interesting variety of advertisements. That Spruce Creek PA CDS is really neat!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2247 Posts
Posted Yesterday   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like you've got a #25 on the paper dealers cover.
I didn't look closely at all of the rest.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted Today  7 Hrs 2 Min ago  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ecostic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both, here is another favorite of mine

Page: of 17 Previous TopicReplies: 252 / Views: 9,233Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 5.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05