Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1857 Perforated Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 423 / Views: 21,935Next Topic
Page: of 29
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   11:20 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now I am trying to work this one out. The Plating wizard has left me many choices and lets see if I can get a result.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2772 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chipshot, nice stamp.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   3:21 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I changed my plating characteristics to Later Plates and tried to check the upper rt diamond block attached to the triangle. That results in only one choice which may be the correct result (alternatively it might be wishful thinking), 98L5L

If I am way off base please advise me or if correct a confirmation would be appreciated, TIA
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot --

First allow me to say that your Scott #25A is a very nice stamp -- and IMO a rarity of the first order with all 4 frame lines showing.

Unfortunately, your scan is not the best for plating as it gets very pixelated when enlarged -- but I am confident that your stamp is not 98L5L -- as the bends and curves in the side FL's -- as well as the relationship between the side FL's and the IL's are not a fit.

Hard to tell without a better scan -- but my preliminary assessment based on the overall strength of the recut inner lines leans towards plate 5L -- and the stamp is most likely relief A.

On a stamp like this, if you could post up a 1200 dpi scan with jpg compression of no more than 16% (i.e., minimum jpg quality of 84%) it would be helpful.

Regards // ioagoa

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   7:39 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information and the encouragement. Never being educated in the digital arena I am challenged with making the images meet the posting requirements. I can thank Gary and other members who have helped me get to this point, but am still learning and even though I may not master the technology, I should be able to manage enough to meet your request. As a last resort I think I can count on The Moderator if I can not get the job done. Bear with me as I will attempt this tomorrow as it does take me time.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   10:44 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I may have posted an improved image, hope so.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   11:12 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another which I believe to be a 25 B relief with heavily recut frame lines.
Somewhere it says that some of the stamps have very faint inner lines, could this be one? Will see if I can get plating and try to find out.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   09:10 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
72L5E is or may be the plating as what I see is the R FL goes up to the middle of the rosette, the distances are tight to the inner frame lines and the top and bottom frame lines are heavier on the left side. I looked at many positions in the 5L and many are real close, but this 5 E plate has just as many. Will keep looking and if I am on the right track please advise me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
852 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot. I am by far the worst plater this side of, well... everywhere! =)

Poking around on stamp plating and searching your recent 3 cent perf I'm more inclined to say something like 30R8(?). Simply because of the recut uneven thickness of the frame lines. It's difficult to tell from your scan.

All of the rosettes are over inked or maybe even a bit of double impression, I can see what looks like an image of the upper left rosette in the bottom portion of the U in U.S.

Plating the perforated 3 cent stamps eludes me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   11:05 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Moyock13, I think the inner frame lines are the key and believe plate 8 has none. OH, by the way the 25A is my focus and if you looked at the second stamp of yesterdays post that changes everything. I have a new candidate as what I am doing is casting about looking for certain characteristics inside line being the most important.
20R5E looks like a good candidate.
The question I need to know is did the perforated stamps get produced by 5 E plates or am I completely off base?
I am going to check 20R5L and see what that looks like.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   11:14 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
15R5L has potential and that is part of the challenge for the novice plater, the distinctions are very subtle.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
189 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good morning Chipshot. It can't be from plate 5E as that plate only produced 10A's and was was re-entered and became plate 5L prior to the use of perforations.

Edit: As mentioned before we need a better quality scan. What DPI are you scanning the images in at? The images you are posting are at 75 dpi and need to be up around 1200dpi.

Edited by Harper1249 - 07/23/2022 11:55 am
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   11:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot and All --

Regarding your Scott #25A -- I took one pass through plate 5L this morning and could not find it -- so, I either missed it -- or it is from plates 2L or 3 (which are the only other possibilities for a Scott #25A) -- although based on the scan that we have to work with -- from what I can see, while those inner lines look a bit weakish for 2L or 3 -- the strength of the recutting alone does not automatically eliminate either of those plates

More to follow as time permits -- but as Harper just mentioned -- if there is any way to get a higher quality scan posted up, that would be helpful.

Regards // ioagoa
Edited by ioagoa - 07/23/2022 12:00 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   12:51 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all as the information is wonderful to have. My scan started at 900 DPI and then I rescanned it at 1200 DPI.
I think when I use the image optimizer I lose some detail. Will try emailing it over through the Moderator in hopes that the image can be posted with the best detail.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
274 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sent the image over and will see if it improves the posting.
Looked at a number of stamps on 2L and I like how 13R2L seems to have the R inner line stopping at the middle of the rt
rosette, which is one of the things I am looking for.
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 423 / Views: 21,935Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05