Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1857 Perforated Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 400 / Views: 20,339Next Topic
Page: of 27
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The left and right frame lines of 13R2L don't match up with your example. The gap between the inner and outer lines is too big. You looking at the upper right inner frame line is good. I'm also focusing on the variation in the upper frame line that is narrow at left and widens as you move right. The upper left triangle is also interesting as it appears as though you can see two vertical lines. Not necessary a recut, but probably something to use to identify this position. I've gone through 2L, 3, and 5L and the "best" match I have found is 57R3. My eyes hurt.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   3:59 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much............ I hope the better image is posted soon, I can only look for so long, too.

I like the looks of 57R3 and it appears to be the best match I have seen, thanks.
Edited by Chipshot - 07/23/2022 4:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
10972 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   4:08 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is Chipshot's high resolution image

Don
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot --

So, I just spent a considerable amount of time on your Scott #25A stamp -- as it does not look like 57R3 to me.

Rather, I plated it to position 72L2L.

Check it out and see if you agree.

FYI -- position 72L2L is one of the positions noted by Chase that had 2 lines recut in the ULT on the "Early" state of the plate -- but due to re-entry when plate 2E became plate 2L, all but disappeared -- and the remnants of the 2-line recut on the Early state that made it over to the "Late" state are a solid match -- as is everything else.

In any event -- despite the still generally poor-quality scan -- and the fact that the TFL and BFL are almost useless for plating due to the combination of the scan quality with the perforations partially cutting in -- I am very confident that your stamp is, in fact, position 72L2L.

Also, not sure what kind of scanner you are using -- but may I suggest investing in an Epson V-600 (if that is something that would fit into your budget) -- and then using the Epson scanning software that comes with the scanner to generate your scans. This particular stamp probably would have been a 15-minute plating job had the scan quality been better.

Finally -- IMO -- if that stamp is 100% sound -- it is worthy of a single lot listing in a major auction (like Siegel) -- as it is very rare to find a Scott #25A this well centered with all 4 frame lines visible. Again -- and this is just my opinion -- your stamp is a gem -- and a rarity of the first order.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I had "best" in quotes. As always Ioagoa is correct.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   8:17 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, thank you so much for helping me with the plating of this stamp and the guidance offered. You and others in the stamp community have been so helpful it is hard to find the words. All of you are certainly dedicated to the greater good of the stamp community and I am so glad I have joined the group. I may send the stamp off for expertizing but if I choose to keep it in my collection? I just had it expertized by one of the best. You are most generous. Everything you have described in the 72L2L matches up nicely. Nice to have that confirmation.
Edited by Chipshot - 07/24/2022 08:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1983 Posts
Posted 07/23/2022   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Outstanding job plating that very difficult stamp of Chipshot's to 72L2L!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   2:36 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second stamp with the curve of the CDS through Washington's nose I have tried to plate. I believe it is a B relief and there is no guide dot. It appears to have some rust damage and for that reason I worked in Plate 8 which has some of those problems. I came up with 47L8 and would appreciate coaching if one of the more experienced platers might indulge me.
I have looked at 70-80 images trying to narrow this one down and to further my knowledge in plating.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot --

That scan of your Scott #25 -- which you posted on 7/22/2022 and described as the one with the curve of the CDS through Washington's nose -- is a very poor quality scan and is not really suitable for plating work -- as it appears pixelated from the get-go -- and so much so, that the curves in the TFL and BFL are not perceptible.

That said -- based on the curves and varying strength of the recut side FL's, I have tentatively and preliminarily plated it to 95R8 -- subject to review of a better quality scan.

Not sure what type of scanner you are using -- but if your software has a default setting for use when scanning photographs (as opposed to documents), try using that -- and at 1200 dpi. Then send the scan to Don so he can post it up for you.

In any event, I agree that based on the heavily recut FL's, your stamp looks like a typical plate 8 printing. I also agree that it is a B relief. I ran through all B reliefs on plate 8 -- and the only one with side FL's even remotely close to your stamp was 95R8. Still -- a high quality scan is needed in order to finalize the plating.

Regards // ioagoa
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   3:49 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 26A, by definition plates 10 or 11.

Might be an improved image as I changed some settings to what my original coach suggested and was surprised it took as it 's Size: 305.4 KBV.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/26/2022   4:26 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the stamp with my revisions.

I was making that other post as you made your comments, very much appreciated. Thank you. Let me know if there is enough improvement or if I should send a copy to Don. Unfortunately the disturbance through the E is a tear.

PS, I am using an HP scanner and running vue scan software. The lack of previous digital experience is my challenge having never done much more than social media for the last 10 years. Thanks for your interest and when I first started here on the Forum my images were really bad.
Edited by Chipshot - 07/26/2022 5:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/27/2022   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Chipshot --

Thanks for the improved scan -- which is "marginally better" than your original -- but still "pixelates" quite a bit -- which makes doing original plating work very difficult, and in some cases not possible. That said -- the improvement was enough for me to be confident in my plating of your stamp to position 95R8 -- which, despite the tear you noted at the bottom (i.e., going up through the E of CENTS) is a very nice example of a Scott #25 from plate 8 -- as they rarely come with all 4 frame lines visible.

On the scanner -- like you, I am not an IT technical person -- and I don't know why your images are coming across so "grainy" from the outset and then pixelate so much when enlarged. I used to have an HP "all in one" scanner, printer -- had the same issues you are having -- and finally gave up and spent $225 to purchase an Epson V600 -- which right out of the box produced "proof-like" scans using the Epson scanning software and the Epson default settings. If you are serious about plating, you should continue to tinker with the settings in the software you currently use -- and if all else fails, you may want to consider getting a dedicated scanner that was designed for the purpose of scanning photographs -- like the Epson.

Regards // ioagoa

PS -- On that 26A you posted yesterday -- although cut in at bottom -- it is a nice type IV example as it shows the FL breaks at top on both sides of the stamp. As you say -- the stamp comes from either plate 10 or 11 -- although each of those plates exists in 3 states -- Early, Intermediate, and Late -- which, for plating purposes at least, makes a total of 6 plates if one considers each state of the plate as if it were a separate plate. I don't have enough reference material to begin plating the type IV's. Again, due to the scan quality, it is also difficult to nail down the relief on your stamp as well (other than to say it is obviously not a top row A relief) -- so I cannot offer any additional comments on your 26A stamp. Still -- a nice example of a type IV stamp!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
258 Posts
Posted 07/27/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just sent the image to Don and expect it will be reposted by him in time. Have to apologize to the community for the repetition on the images. I hope some will benefit and learn more on management of images. I am fortunate to have a number of stamps in the series and likely will make the investment in the better equipment. It looks like it would be money well spent in terms of time savings realized. Thanks again.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
176 Posts
Posted 07/27/2022   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Harper1249 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to take a break from the 3c for a bit and go through an old box of revenue material. I came across an envelope marked "damaged stamps" and while going through it I found this one. It's in very ruff shape as you can see but I figured I take a more detailed look at it. Am I correct in saying that the curved line below lower label has been recut, thus making it a Type IV and likely from Plate 1L?

Regards,
Harper1249

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1636 Posts
Posted 07/27/2022   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, although the complete bottom ornaments indicate that you have a Type I from Plate 12.
Page: of 27 Previous TopicReplies: 400 / Views: 20,339Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05