Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Country Are These Stamps From?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 454Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any help would be great thank you.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4876 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fernando Po, as shown on the stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa, thank you. What Scott calatlog would I find these in? I am having some trouble. Thank you.
Valued Member
Canada
38 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fernando Po is listed in my Scott Volume 2.
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NanoPhilatelic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fernando Po is an island in the Gulf of Guinea off the west coast of Africa, and together with the islands of Elobey, Annobon and Corisco was administered by Spanish Guinea. It seems to have issued its own stamps from 1868 until 1908, with a set of Spanish stamps overprinted for use there in 1929. It is interesting about the name, because the official name is Fernando Po, with the Po part pronounced as in Edgar Allen Poe, but on all the stamps it seems to be spelled "Poo" which of course must have made every schoolboy who ever came across one of the stamps dissolve in hysterical laughter. What is strange is that as far as I know, there is no double "O" in the Spanish language, so I don't know where the name derives from.
Incidentally, these are revenue stamps overprinted for use as postage stamps.
Edited by waddsbadds - 05/26/2020 12:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1428 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that there is no "oo" in written Spanish. I actually looked this up a long time ago because it was just plain weird. The territory is named after the explorer who discovered it, Fernao do Po, who was PORTUGUESE. Apparently his name is also spelled Poo.
Edited by shermae - 05/26/2020 12:42 am
Valued Member
233 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Navigator Fernão do Pó in Spanish is Fernando Poo. Póo and Pó are variations on this spelling. Póo would be pronounced Po-o even without the tilde. Thus Poo suffices. This is the spelling used for what is now the island of Bioko.

A double o written at the end of a Spanish word is rare, but not unheard of. When it occurs, the word is borrowed from a foreign language or a shortened version of another word. An example is the word "zoo." As a shortened version of "parque zoológico" it would become zo-o.

It is possible to double vowels: cooperación. These must be pronounced individually. Doubling of consonants in Spanish is rare; only one consonant can be doubled, being the c.
Edited by NSK - 05/26/2020 10:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
1161 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the l (llena) and the r (tierra)
Valued Member
233 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@vayolene:

No, ll and rr are letters of the spanish alphabet. they are not doubled.
A Spanish dictionary such as the RAE has a section Ll between L and M. Rr does not occur at the start of a word.
Ll is a completely different letter from l-l and rr is completely different from r-r.

ll-e-n-a and not l-l-e-n-a
t-(i-e)-rr-a and not t-(i-e)-r-r-a.

CH also is a letter and not a combination as Dutch has, where ch is a soft g-sound, but not a letter.

Interestingly, you chose a diptongue "ie."
Edited by NSK - 05/26/2020 11:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
1161 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And what about the n (innovación) ?
CaRoLiNa (that was a way to remember them,not for pronunciation of course,only for writing)
Valued Member
233 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct. That only occurs when in is placed in front of another word that starts with an n.

Ñ is a separate one again. The 21st edition RAE paperback has pages 1456 and 1457 dedicated to Ñ. It follows the n-section and precedes the o-section. It is a letter and there are words that start with it.

It also has a k-section. But the k is not really a Spanish letter. These are all foreign words. Spanish uses either c or qu for that sound. W is another foreign letter, but has no alternative.
Edited by NSK - 05/26/2020 12:53 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 454Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05