Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Scott 15 Question - Where Did The Dot Go?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Trodent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Talking about the DOT in C of Cents.
I believe there was 1 plate and 10 different plate retouchings resulting in 11 printings of this stamp. So is it possible you could tell the printing number of the stamp by the location of the DOT?

Flyspecker.com shows a specimen copy with the DOT in C. I would speculate that the specimen copy would be from the first printing. Is that correct? In the latter printings the DOT gets removed?
Or is the only way to differentiate the printings is by the paper type? or a combination of both? Just curious.

Any thoughts?

NO DOT

Trodent
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
7065 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trodent

Quote:
The Canada Post Office Department awarded its new printing contract to the British American Bank Note Company. The firm kept its name as RWH&E until 1858 when it amalgamated with several other printing firms (Bald, Cousland & Company; John E. Gavit; Danforth, Perkins & Company; Jocelyn, Draper, Welsh & Company; Toppan, Carpenter & Company; and Wellstood, Hay & Whiting) to create the American Bank Note Company

This might have some thing to do with the "DOT"" disappearing..?
Not only is the dot always been known..Take a look at my Scott 15...My friend gave me this Scott 15 with the "DOT", but take a look at the "DOT" in the right flower.

Robert

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
Posted 05/25/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trodent to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Wert, want to play a game of "Connect the Dots"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
638 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add watermark to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "C" is on most copies of this stamp and can be helpful in plating. The bottom two rows usually do not show a 'C' dot. It may be hidden in part of the design or never there. These dots were probably used in laying out the images on the plate/plates. I have been studying these stamps for years and believe, as many of the collectors prior to Whitworth, that there maybe and probably was more than one plate.

I wrote an article in the BNAPS Dots and Scratches News Letter showing what could be evidence of another plate. See: http://www.bnaps.org/hhl/newsletter...n04-w023.pdf pgs, 16 to 19.

Mike
Edited by watermark - 05/26/2020 07:54 am
Valued Member
Canada
122 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi I probably should sit back and learn as I've limited exposure to stamps.
When it comes to dots and differences in one stamp to another I'm not sure what's acceptable as normal plate wear, polishing or improper transfer, etc.
I did notice when comparing your first two stamps some differences that I circled in blue.
I had noticed a while back that part of the detail in the water is shaped like a duck and some have a red dot in the body part and some don't, circled in green.
The third picture is mine where the duck appears different and hasn't been shot.
Are these differences all normal and acceptable and can be explained?

Pillar Of The Community
7065 Posts
Posted 05/26/2020   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Watermark said..Lots of dots.
Take a look at this one...Especially the second last picture.

Robert

Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05